GC "Born on:" date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should see an alphanumeric sequence right at the beginning like "M020," M030," or "M040"; the second number is the year it was produced. The first batches we saw were 2002...the current batches are 2004; since the Elves are mum right now on the deal with Castrol, I am anxious to see our first 050 batch so I know we are still seeing "a flow."

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
There is a date on the bottom, starts with the year (02-04) and I think the month and day.

Printed in white letters, right?

Here's what is printed on the bottom of my GC bottles: M033246B251051-3 23:50

Should be aged to perfection by now!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
There is a date on the bottom, starts with the year (02-04) and I think the month and day.

Printed in white letters, right?

Here's what is printed on the bottom of my GC bottles: M033246B251051-3 23:50

Should be aged to perfection by now!
tongue.gif

You got yourself a portion of the 2003 harvest. You should find it slightly sweet with just a hint of the aroma of grùn gummi bären. You will find it perfectly complements a high-revving, exotic amalgam motor. It should be served at ambient temperature, although slightly chilled it will still retain its pourability and once served it may be exposed to very high temps.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
M0409 is the last batch date I've seen. Bought some the other week and it was still M0409.

There's a lot of M0428xxx on the shelves both here in New Orleans and back home in Pensacola (both AZ's shelves and mine...). There's one "backwater-ish" AZ store over here (NOLA) that still has a bunch of dusty M02xxx GC. I passed on it only since I'm well stocked with newer stuff. My G is presently filled with some M030, and my oldest virgin stock is ~15 M0332 quarts. I too am still waiting for the M05xxx to show itself.
dunno.gif
If it doesn't happen soon, I'll be havin' to kick some green butt is a a bad way. . .

The M0428 batches are the newest ones I've seen up here too. I do hope to see an M05 batch soon, but all these rumors of GC's demise are starting to depress me.
frown.gif

I also just purchased M0428xx from two separate stores. I will see what they restock with. Can't ask many questions as most are a few quarts shy of a full pan.

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:

quote:

A week ago, Castrol sent me an e-mail stating that they did not plan to discontinue GC. We'll see.

Making it is one thing, importing it is another!
wink.gif
The fact that it's made in Germany is a big reason for it's popularity.

I dunno about that -- I think a bigger reason would be the consistently fantastic results it generates. Germany, Tazmania, I don't care, my engine clearly loves the stuff.

quote:

is there 2 kinds of castrol? one made here and one in germany? how do i know which is from germany?

That's going to be the "Question of the Year!" There are actually three kinds, but who's counting?

1. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in USA yellow label
2. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in USA red label
3. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in Germany red label (also known as GC and can be identified on the back of the bottle where it states "Made in Germany"

Ok, the first two digits are the year 04 = 2004,
what are the second two digits, 0428 would meant what?

Two weeks ago I cleaned out all of the GC in Fargo, ND. I was in Fargo again this weekend and knew that the sale was good thu 2/12, so I checked both stores and sure enough, I found 6 quarts of true GC 0428 at one store and 11 of the same at another!! So maybee GC is not on the way out yet.

I know have 66 quarts, guess it's time to actually put it in one of my cars!

about 12 quarts are 2002 and the rest are 2004.

Is there any difference from year to year?

quote:

There are actually three kinds, but who's counting?

1. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in USA yellow label
2. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in USA red label
3. Castrol Syntec 0W30 Made in Germany red label

1 & 2 are simply decoys(filled with ND 40wt), used by BITOGers to keep our stashes of true GC safe at the back of the oil rack.
tongue.gif

I think the GC in the U.S. is gone. Meaning, Castrol is making no more. At least for the U.S. Autozone has GC for $3.99/Qt. Something is up.

The members here are probably the only ones buying 0W30.

quote:

I think the GC in the U.S. is gone. Meaning, Castrol is making no more. At least for the U.S. Autozone has GC for $3.99/Qt. Something is up.

The members here are probably the only ones buying 0W30.

A week ago, Castrol sent me an e-mail stating that they did not plan to discontinue GC. We'll see.
dunno.gif

Going thru my stash of GC for the batch dates..I found 4 of the 27 has the high Fe M023386BTAG785 2029. The rest are the M03 and M04s.

The old stuff will go first in the 1.8T..but I just might exchange them at AZ for newer ones.
dunno.gif

I'd exchange 'em.....at least it gives you an excuse to go to the parts store & check the oil rack for potential scores.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back