GC at regular price...will you guys buy anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a couple of AZ's near me still carry GC, but it's regular price, $5.19-5.39.

Given the potential lack of supply of GC in the USA in the near future, it it still worth buying at regular price? What do you guys think?

I went into AutoZone today to purchase two quarts. I was hoping to get them for one dollar. However, I was charged $5.32/quart and I promptly returned them. I'm still hoping to get it clearance price. I guess that I will pay full price if I have to.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Only a couple of AZ's near me still carry GC, but it's regular price, $5.19-5.39.

Given the potential lack of supply of GC in the USA in the near future, it it still worth buying at regular price? What do you guys think?

I intend to buy more under two conditions: (1) if it is from a 2005 batch or (2) it goes on sale for $3.99, preferably both.

Do not think I will be buying at the regular price. Would stock up when they run a sale. However it will be quite sometime before I need more since I stocked up for $1.00 qt. AZ clearance at several stores. Have a few cases. And plan to search out for more. I'am greedy.

My supply is down to 2 qts and I don't plan on buying more at $5 each. Neither of the two local AZ stores had it for $3.99, let alone $1. I have three changes of free Valvoline left plus one of $2 Maxlife syn. That's a years supply for me. I'll wait and see what happens next to GC and AZ.

I have it in one vehicle now and have a couple of extra quarts around if i need to top it up. Next time I change it I'll buy it again even at full price if I can find it easily but I'm done seaching for it.

It's silly. The stuff just isn't special enough to make it worth driving all over Illinois hoping to find some, especially with all the new oils appearing from companies with functional distribution methods...

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
....The stuff just isn't special enough to make it worth driving all over Illinois hoping to find some, especially with all the new oils appearing from companies with functional distribution methods...

-

Bought 18 bottles of GC here in Las Vegas for $1 each. They were on the clearence shelf near the front of the store. Ironically, they still had GC on the rack in the back. Brought 1 of those to the counter just to see what it would ring up at and it was $5.29. Both were batch 0428.
dunno.gif

Guys,

Take a look at what is being reported on various oils and oil retailers in recent threads...there is something going on across the DITY oil market and, at this point, I am not prepared to write it off merely to SM GF-4.

Things like the radical remapping of Autozone shelving schemes; GC for $1.00 at the front of the store while selling for $5.00+ off the shelves; GC selling for $3.99 in some markets while regular price in others; Wal-Mart apparently revamping their sales lines; Redline appearing at Advance Auto and then suddenly being cleared out...and all these things happening at about the same time. It also seems that Mobil is assuming a very conspicuous place, even a dominant one, in some of the changes. Just find it all rather curious, especially since it is ALL happening pretty much at the same time.

I tend to believe that it is the SM GF-4 driving things. Look at Mobil now offering a group 3 as a 5k oil. Their whole marketing strategy is now against the 3k mile/3 month norm. The price has gone up, but so has the number of miles you can go before a change. With the better base oils required to meet the SM GF-4 and the price increase to go with it, new marketing was neccesary.

I wonder how Castrol is going to react to this, as their Syntec 5w-30 is basically a 5k oil at 3 times the price of Mobil's, although most people don't know that.

Back home now in No.Va. Went to the local AZs (2) and since I was gone they have moved the GC to the top shelves on the far right of the oil racks with some of the other 0W oils. Back at "regular" price too. I noticed that the new EP and ED Mobils have moved into the space that GC and the other Syntecs occupied. Valuble area as its at eye level (well, mine anyway
grin.gif
) and right as you walk up to the rack. Asked what was up and both places said that "corporate" felt that the buying public shyed away from the 0W stuff and wasn't selling. I then said, so the buying public will be more apt to give up their 3000 mile or 3 month OCI that has been drilled into their heads than go for an oil with slightly better winter #s? Wish I had a camera because I have never seen dumber expressions, even for the clerks at AZ
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
both places said that "corporate" felt that the buying public shyed away from the 0W stuff and wasn't selling.

Guess we BITOGers, despite the enormous amounts of GC we have purchased, haven't made a real difference in the sales picture. I would have thought we would at least have created a "blip" on the corporate radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back