GC and Synpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my next oil change, I'm going from M-1 0W-40 to GC. I've run the M-1 to 5000 miles. About 1000 miles ago I added 6 oz of the Synpower oil treatment, due to the VOAs on it, and the attraction I have for Moly
wink.gif
. I felt that any thickening of the oil by the Synpower would be o-k, as M-1 is on the thin side of a 40 anyways.

But now I'm a little torn. GC has produced great UOAs on its own (as has M-1 0W-40). My original plan was to add 6oz Synpower to the GC as well, since it appears that GC lacks Moly.

My questions are:

Is this a good plan?
Is Moly that important?
Will the oil be too thick for winter Memphis driving?

Car:
1998 SVT Contour
HO 2.5L Duratec V-6
138,000 miles
80% highway (apx 50 miles a day)
I drive aggresively, tho not harsh.

I think most of the GC fans would be appalled at the idea of adulterating GC
shocked.gif
, but I guess the one ounce per quart would not hurt, may help. Doubt it would significantly increase viscosity, cold or hot, at that rate of applicaiton.

Isn't GC only in 0w30? That's a big drop from the present 40 weight you are running. Maybe for the better? I would expect a reduction in oil pressure, but maybe that was higher than needed with the 40 wt.

Some people say that they see a drop in mileage with GC, perhaps because of the lack of Moly or Boron. Wouldn't adding this help in this respect.

-T

The only thing that I would add to those two A3 rated oils is the lube control/fuel power regimen. This could help you extend the OCI and help your fuel economy.

The M1 10w-30 would be a better candidate for adding the Valvoline Synpower or the Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Some people say that they see a drop in mileage with GC, perhaps because of the lack of Moly or Boron. Wouldn't adding this help in this respect.

-T

I have not experienced reduced gas mileage with GC myself. If Moly and Boron is the panacea, I would just go back to M1, it's often cheaper anyway if you prefer to see the Moly and Boron #'s. M1 0W-40 has the energy conserving Starburst anyway.

These are the last two oils on earth that I would think about helping with Synpower.

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:
The only thing that I would add to those two A3 rated oils is the lube control/fuel power regimen. This could help you extend the OCI and help your fuel economy.

The M1 10w-30 would be a better candidate for adding the Valvoline Synpower or the Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP.

Agree 100%

I ran M-1 5w-30 for 50,000 miles, and the motor burned 1 qt of oil per ~3000 miles. I was looking for good start up flow, with a hearty non shearing operational temp flow. I poured over this site and went back and forth on M-1 5/30...10/30...0/20...and 0/30. As the 0W-40 has given stellar UOAs, and several of the fastest Contours on www.contour.org use 0W-40, I thought it a good choice. I still do. I've just been tempted to use the highly touted GC, which I'll be doing real soon. I'm also itching to try M-1 0W-20 as well...

quote:

Originally posted by SVTDoood:
I ran M-1 5w-30 for 50,000 miles, and the motor burned 1 qt of oil per ~3000 miles.

Valvoline Synpower 10w30 has a NOACK of only 8%--just a thought
smile.gif

GC and M1 0W-40 are two of the best pcmo's on the market. I don't think there is benefit to adding the Synpower to either one.

The presence or absence of Moly in a quality synthetic doesn't mean anything.

I don't contaminate my GC with anything.
grin.gif

I agree...don't add anything to any of those 3 oils...both are equally good oils.

quote:

Originally posted by SVTDoood:
. I've just been tempted to use the highly touted GC, which I'll be doing real soon. I'm also itching to try M-1 0W-20 as well... is

This forum is resembling the stock market forum I use to watch closely. Someone mentions a new upcoming stock and many run out and buy it! All the talk about GC and everyone wants to try it! I guess I will go out and buy some more GC to add to the 30 quarts I have setting on my garage shelf!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back