GC and piston slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just switched to German Castrol 0W30 (the gold) and notice more piston slap. Wasn't nearly noticable with Havoline 10W30 dino. Can a thinner 0il (0W) cause more piston slap? This is a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, thanks.

There is no dought GC made this engine louder,go back to 10w30 Havoline unless you want to shake hands with a piston
grin.gif

What does piston slap sound like anyway. My 96 Cherokee has 110K on it, and I've never heard anything weird coming from under the hhod, though I've always ehard the 4.0 would do that. I used plain old Castrol GTX 10W30 for the first 80K, then switched to Chevron. Never heard a peep.

My Nissan pickup (3.0 v-6) sounds much quieter on GC than any other oil. I guess this is a case of individual engine chemistry / mechanical preference.

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
That engine holds 6 quarts try this 4 quarts of 10w30 and 2 quarts of SEA-30 all Havoline of course

Seems like all of your posts in your very short tenure on BITOG revolve around quick, unsupported recommendations to trash what ever oil the original poster asks about and replace it with Havoline ... why?

BTW .... SEA is another word for an large body of water ... SAE is not.

quote:

There is no dought GC made this engine louder,go back to 10w30 Havoline unless you want to shake hands with a piston
grin.gif

...and tell me drums...when did you get to hear his engine, seeing as how you say there is "no doubt." I also assume you happened to be on hand to hear it before the switch was made as well so you could do an honest
rolleyes.gif
comparison.

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:
GC is actually quite thick, does the pistol slap continue when the car has warmed up

The piston slap only occurs for the first 30 seconds or so upon cold startup. It goes away after that and the engine is very quiet and runs very smooth. This is the very first time I've ever used a 0Wieght oil and usually use 10W30. Actually with the Havoline dino 10W30 piston slap is non-existent. I'm sure GC is an excellent oil. The main selling point I switched is because of quick oil supply to the engine upon startup and it's very shear stable. I hardly doubt the piston slap is causing any harm as long as it disappears quickly which it does. I'm going 5K miles on this oil then doing a UOA. If the numbers are very good I'm most likely sticking with this oil...as long as it continues to be available at my local Autozone.

quote:

jeepzj say with the 10w30 Havoline, i promise you wont be sorry you did.

I'm sure any 10W30 would do the same not just Havoline. I'm also quite sure that any 0W oil would cause more piston slap for my Jeep, not just GC.

If you look at the actual viscosity tables I think you will find that 0 weight oil only is "thinner" at -20 or lower. The GC is certainly thicker than Mobil1 5w30 when the temperature is above 0. Can't remember about 10W. Maybe this phenomena could use a little more examination.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
If you look at the actual viscosity tables I think you will find that 0 weight oil only is "thinner" at -20 or lower. The GC is certainly thicker than Mobil1 5w30 when the temperature is above 0. Can't remember about 10W. Maybe this phenomena could use a little more examination.

Interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that a 0W oil will always be thinner than a 10W at cold startup no matter what the outside temperature is. Then again, I could be wrong. Anyone care to chime in?

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
If you look at the actual viscosity tables I think you will find that 0 weight oil only is "thinner" at -20 or lower.

I know that when I do an oil change, using a 0W pours in thinner then if I pour in a 10W oil no matter what the temperature is.

Jeepzj there is no need for 0w whatever were you live, also this engine was not designed to run on this viscosity Jeep recommends 10w30. IMO you are wasting your money on this synthetic, Havoline will protect just as well.

quote:

Originally posted by jeepzj:
The piston slap only occurs for the first 30 seconds or so upon cold startup. It goes away after that and the engine is very quiet and runs very smooth.

Kinda sounds like it might be hydraulic lifter noise until oil reaches the top end. Oil filter leakdown overnight? Elves imbibed too much schnapps overnight?

quote:

Interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that a 0W oil will always be thinner than a 10W at cold startup no matter what the outside temperature is.

Consider a cold startup in Iraq in the heat of summer at noon on a vehicle sitting in the sun for 4 hours;

and reconsider what you said.

{Hint: the oil at startup is above 100dF}

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch Alsup:

quote:

Interesting. I'm no expert but I thought that a 0W oil will always be thinner than a 10W at cold startup no matter what the outside temperature is.

Consider a cold startup in Iraq in the heat of summer at noon on a vehicle sitting in the sun for 4 hours;

and reconsider what you said.

{Hint: the oil at startup is above 100dF}

I see your point which makes sense. If I take a quart of 0w30 and 10W30, both syn or both dino - same brand, and pour them from the bottle at 80dF ambient temp, which would pour\flow thinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back