GC and Oil Consumption with Higher Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has been the experience of users when they switched to GC with higher mileage engines?

Since it is on the heavy side of a 30, I would expect less consumption. But what is the real world experience?

I switched a 95 Nissan Maxima with the 3.0L V6 about a month ago. So far after 3000 miles the oil consumption is zero. Total miles on the vehicle and engine is 127,000. It has never burned a drop of oil and I have never had to top up the oil. It has run everything from M1 to Motul to Amsoil, to GC (first time).

So far so good,

quote:

Originally posted by Trouthead:
I switched a 95 Nissan Maxima with the 3.0L V6 about a month ago. So far after 3000 miles the oil consumption is zero. Total miles on the vehicle and engine is 127,000. It has never burned a drop of oil and I have never had to top up the oil. It has run everything from M1 to Motul to Amsoil, to GC (first time).

So far so good,

For conversation sake, what has been your favorite oils of what you have run? I have run all three except the Motul. What weights have you run of each?

Maybe the Amsoil series 3000, but there does not seem to be a head and shoulders above the rest oil. I get good results with all of them, and the oil analysis doesn't seem to point to a clear cut winner. All seem to be good oils in an easy engine. I like the idea of a 0w-30 oil as it get pretty cold here in Wyoming. 3000 miles on the GC so far an not a drop gone. 27 miles to the gal on the last 160 mile trip over a 9500 ft mt. pass, and doing 70-75 on the flats, with some full throttle passing (5-6 times).

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
What has been the experience of users when they switched to GC with higher mileage engines?

Since it is on the heavy side of a 30, I would expect less consumption. But what is the real world experience?

Are you talking about moving from dino to GC (or) are you thinking about going from one synthetic to another?

There's a big difference sometimes & alot depends on how often that dino got changed-out. Moving from dinos to synthetics in older engines can stir-up alot of leftovers inside your engine. If your engine is not relatively clean with dino, changing-over could cause moving parts to capture what synthetics might loosen.

Better-off doing a complete Auto-Rx first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back