GC and Lube Control (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did it!!! I bought all of the GC at the local AZ. The guy stocking the shelf thought I was nuts looking for the red writing as opposed to the yellow. Anyhow, my goofy Nissan only uses 3.5 qts with the filter so there isnt much elven-magic-juice in the motor. This little engine revs pretty good on the highway and as it is going through the gears. With the small amount of oil and high heat and rpm should I use a bit of LC in this oil? I know Terry has mentioned it but it seems like blaspheming. Should I leave the green stuff alone or spike it?

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
Well I did it!!! I bought all of the GC at the local AZ. The guy stocking the shelf thought I was nuts looking for the red writing as opposed to the yellow. Anyhow, my goofy Nissan only uses 3.5 qts with the filter so there isnt much elven-magic-juice in the motor. This little engine revs pretty good on the highway and as it is going through the gears. With the small amount of oil and high heat and rpm should I use a bit of LC in this oil? I know Terry has mentioned it but it seems like blaspheming. Should I leave the green stuff alone or spike it?

It is just WAY TOO COOL that someone named ncirish would be usin' The Green. I would NOT spike The Green on first two OCIs...I would use it straight, do a UOA after the second OCI and then decide what you want to do. Without hyperbole or exaggeration, I tell you that I believe the chemical makeup of this oil is SO SPECIAL and SO PRECISELY FORMULATED (remember its Elvish origin) that you really shouldn't introduce alien chemistry into it.

Well, on my 7400 mile GC Terry made no mention of a need for LC in the GC. He did mention FP though, but that is a different subject. He said try 10,000 next time as is. My Hyundai only has a 4 qt capacity, so not much more than your motor.

I have GC + LC in my Ranger right now. I've had it in there for about 7-8000 miles I would say and it seems peachy.

The stupid thing is on the back of my LC bottle it says to use 16oz on the initial use and 1oz every 1000 miles thereafter. Well after edumacating myself on here more, that dosage was for older oil formulations that weren't as good as they are today, hence more LC was needed to clean things up of that era. I Pm'd MolaKule to see if this would have any effects on it and he said no harm done and that I just need to drain out about 2 quarts and refil with another 30wt oil. So my GC by now is probably like a 20wt with all that LC in there. I just dumped in 2oz of LC today in the truck for maintence. I gotta get that stuff outta there,,,AR

Well I may just leave it be then, at least this run. I have LC in the Trooper with the M1 0w-40 and it seems to be doing a nice job cleaning post A-Rx too. I was so happy I found the GC (and it was on sleeper sale too!) that I bought enough for 4 changes (all the had) which should get me through a year at minimum (4k-5k oci on this motor).

Use analysis first then base your regimen on oil analysis results not any blanket statement.

Note that when I make a recommendation to a customer I have reviewed our own internal historical data on that unit and that lube if we have all that, the customer comments, and independent testing results I have access to, finally , what the recent spectro showed in their engine or trans, etc.

Don't guess .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back