GC and engine quietness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put GC in my old Nissan truck about two weeks ago. Before it made a bit of engine "noise" at idle, you know valve train and mechanical noises that an 11 year old engine would make. I had been using Havoline SM/GF-4 5w-30 in it (the one with all the moly) and it was noisy and even used some oil in the roughly 2800 mile oci. Well after 500 or so miles on the GC that noise is gone even on cold starts. I was shocked that an 0w oil would do that. Chalk one up for GC in my book.

GC is pretty much thicker than Havoline 5W30 at all temperatures you would see in NC.It's almost a 40W.

quote:

Originally posted by shanneba:
I wonder if GC doesn't have some of the Castrol Magnatec's special esters.

Good grief, why would someone ask this? Everyone knows its the ELVES!!!!
fruit.gif

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

Originally posted by shanneba:
I wonder if GC doesn't have some of the Castrol Magnatec's special esters.

Good grief, why would someone ask this? Everyone knows its the ELVES!!!!
fruit.gif

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

LVH...RN,

You truly understand...and it is a WONDERFUL THING to behold.

The switch to GC made an immediate change in the noises that were typically emanating from both of my GM 60 degree V6 engines; '00 3.4L with 48K miles and a '01 3.1L with 36K miles. Both had been running 5w-30 Mobil 1 with PF-52 sized Mobil 1 filters. No more cold piston slap, no more cold lifter noise. Even the warm idle is much more quieter. The wife (a true non car person) noticed the different right away, even without me pointing it out to her. She was amazed that simply changing the brand/type of oil used could make that kind of difference.

So was I
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:
The switch to GC made an immediate change in the noises that were typically emanating from both of my GM 60 degree V6 engines; '00 3.4L with 48K miles and a '01 3.1L with 36K miles. Both had been running 5w-30 Mobil 1 with PF-52 sized Mobil 1 filters. No more cold piston slap, no more cold lifter noise. Even the warm idle is much more quieter. The wife (a true non car person) noticed the different right away, even without me pointing it out to her. She was amazed that simply changing the brand/type of oil used could make that kind of difference.

So was I
smile.gif

Stop it you guys...the tears of joy are flowing already!!!!!
grin.gif
Even the Elves have tears in their eyes!!!!
cheers.gif

I noticed the same thing. Much quieter than the M1 I was running in our daily drivers.

I asked Pscholte in a PM if it was just my imagination......

but now I see that your elves quieter too!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:

So was I
smile.gif

Stop it you guys...the tears of joy are flowing already!!!!!
grin.gif
Even the Elves have tears in their eyes!!!!
cheers.gif

Well, sorry but the tears are just going to have to flow a little bit more..
grin.gif
. My Grand Am (04 3.4L V6) was the same way...INSTANT reduction in startup noise/piston slap/valve train clatter/what-have-you. I too was running M1 5w-30 and it was noisy as h*ll, and it made me cringe every morning when I turned the key. But now it's all good
cheers.gif
fruit.gif

Just a few of the comments from new converts...

GC has reduced noise and vibration in my Toyota V6 so much that I can't tell if the engine is running sometimes. Especially if the radio is on.

I noticed the same thing. Much quieter than the M1 I was running in our daily drivers.

My Grand Am (04 3.4L V6) was the same way...INSTANT reduction in startup noise/piston slap/valve train clatter/what-have-you. I too was running M1 5w-30 and it was noisy as h*ll, and it made me cringe every morning when I turned the key. But now it's all good.

End of quotes...

The music...its getting louder....so all can hear...we need BUMPER STICKERS...that proclaim we love GC!!!

I spoke with the Elves and all their manufacturing abilities are into producing the Green Elixer...no time to do bumper stickers..
frown.gif

We need a way to recognize each other...

Just IMHO
darrell
sin city

When I used GC, it definitely made my engine quieter than the M1 0W-30 I used previously, and slightly quieter than the Pennzoil Platnium 5W-30 blend I'm running now.

HOWEVER, I can't get away from this, it also reduced my mpg compared to those other 2 oils, and made my engine's dynamic response more sluggish.

Not sure what engine your running bigpaulo, but I have actually noticed an INCREASE in MPG after switching both of my GM 60 degree V6 engines over to GC.

I only wish I could run CG in my "toy".

With GC, my 2.8 30v gets one mpg better and is more smooth and quite than Mobil-1 0w-40. I really don't understand it because you would think a thicker oil would be more quite.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
With GC, my 2.8 30v gets one mpg better and is more smooth and quite than Mobil-1 0w-40. I really don't understand it because you would think a thicker oil would be more quite.

GC is thicker than a 0w-40???
dunno.gif

I believe what he said was that GC is quieter than M1 0W-40 and you would think that the M1 would be quieter since it is thicker.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

GC is thicker than a 0w-40???
dunno.gif

I believe what he said was that GC is quieter than M1 0W-40 and you would think that the M1 would be quieter since it is thicker.

DOH!!!!! I read it wrong.
pat.gif
That's what I get for browsing the forum while I'm at work...
grin.gif

quote:

Same here in my 2.7tt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back