GC and Belguim:Whats the difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm spting my local autozone. I spot some MIG castrol. Snatch it all up
smile.gif
. But they also have some 5-40? belguim also. this stuff good?? Should I swoop in and raid all of it??

I don't think it's good or bad, just OK. The only Castrol oil's I that I think are outstanding are German Castrol and their 0w-40. Everything else they make seems so so.

It is made by some very nice Belgiques but that isn't the same as being made by Elves...that's just the way it is...

I tend to second this question. Here it is marketed as SLXsince '02 or so. They're England, Ireland, or Belgium made I guess but no German. They're green, smells funny, meets API SM and expensive. Any data on those SLXs? Different formula for every other blender doesn't seems very reasonable... is it so or just the Germany is the one closer to the plane and Eu distribution gathered from the others?

If it just has to be German then I guess no one would pay 15% more over the M1 0w 30 SuperSyn API SL.

Brikhead, this 26-page tale makes me wonder, that's the only reason. Actually Belgian SLX is 0w 30 as well. My OCI lasts 8~10 months so I have only one try for every year. I'm just trying to justify the cost difference.

I've searched the Virgin Oil Anlysys forum and it appears the difference is more Mg and less Ca for the Belgians.

M1 0w 30 has API SL rating instead of SM and my machine is old (would prefer "cleany" properties) with flat cam followers. So all pours down to the green or no green for '06.

As long as we have SLX, I think we have the best oil for normal street use that Castrol markets in Europe. The 0W-40 and 10W-60 may be quite good for honest-to-goodness-more-than-Walter-Mitty-racer-wannabees. But for normal street use (high-speed driving but not a lot of track-style stuff), I still think SLX is king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back