GC Add Pack change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do most of you think that the only thing to really change with the 05 GC is the additive package? If so, I wouldn't sweat the change. If the same PAO is used, I think it will turn out to be a top notch oil still. Being the viscosity hasn't changed, this could be a sign that it is the same. Thoughts?

My thoughts are this is probably SLX Longtec as Quattro Pete and other have indicated. It may be an actual improvement and the current containers have just not been updated to reflect the specs. in the USA packaging.

It may have better extended drain performance. Just hopes and thought. No proof.

There appears to be a new wrinkle. Bob A. bought some oil from batch 0504 and his description surely sounds like he has The Green, not The Gold.

quote:

There appears to be a new wrinkle. Bob A. bought some oil from batch 0504 and his description surely sounds like he has The Green, not The Gold.

More confusion.... oh boy.
rolleyes.gif
Wonder if the old North American 0w-30 is making its way into these new bottles? I think it has something to do with GF-4 most likely.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
This is a myth that needs to be debunked ASAP and forever. Companies do not have gazillion of empty bottles sitting around just waiting to be filled. That just totally defies modern logistics and JIT supply chain management. Castrol will not own more than 3 to five days worth of production in bottle inventory and they will change bottle and formulation to coincide with each other. Further, labeling laws will not allow the stuff in the bottle to be different from the label. There is no new stuff going in old bottles.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
My thoughts are this is probably SLX Longtec as Quattro Pete and other have indicated. It may be an actual improvement and the current containers have just not been updated to reflect the specs. in the USA packaging.

It may have better extended drain performance. Just hopes and thought. No proof.

Alex D,

I believe it would be legal for an oil that meets higher specs than are listed on the bottle to be placed in them. For example, oil companies, in anticipation of a new standard (say SM) probably put oil that meets SM specs in the SL bottles until they use them up.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

This is a myth that needs to be debunked ASAP and forever. Companies do not have gazillion of empty bottles sitting around just waiting to be filled. That just totally defies modern logistics and JIT supply chain management. Castrol will not own more than 3 to five days worth of production in bottle inventory and they will change bottle and formulation to coincide with each other. Further, labeling laws will not allow the stuff in the bottle to be different from the label. There is no new stuff going in old bottles.

quote:

Alex D,

I believe it would be legal for an oil that meets higher specs than are listed on the bottle to be placed in them. For example, oil companies, in anticipation of a new standard (say SM) probably put oil that meets SM specs in the SL bottles until they use them up.

Or more simply, they have the new formulations ready and in production, but aren't licensed to use the newer API rating on the donut until an appointed time. However - I have seen some bottles claiming to meet the latest API specs, but not on the donut.

quote:

quote:

I agree with the logistics and JIT principal. I know how that works.

License, certifications, and approvals must be obtained before a product can list improved specs. on the container, but they can list compliance with previous specs. before these are granted.
grin.gif

Most major companies had API SM oils that met GF-4 on the market long before the containers were approved to be labelled as such.

If you claim meeting BMW LL-01 is it illegal if the oil meets LL-04??

I don't know about all the Logistics, but what has been said above makes sense. BUT, I've said this before, if that special PAO isn't being used, I'd be concerned. That is what made this oil so good.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I don't know about all the Logistics, but what has been said above makes sense. BUT, I've said this before, if that special PAO isn't being used, I'd be concerned. That is what made this oil so good.

Thats obviously the 64K question. Now lets see......if we used $450 for the 04 test and we have $XX left, how much do we need to put Terry through another living heII worth of testing the 05 gold?
tongue.gif

quote:

I doubt it could be done this simply but if there was a marker in the original test that pointed at the special PAO, perhaps just checking for that without a complete test could keep the price and hassle factor down. I guess everyone would also want to know if the other base oils are standard PAO and/or gpIII so it would probably be a hassle again.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Do we really know that it's the PAO type that makes it good?? Maybe it's just the viscosity and the add pak. We just don't have a comprable product to compare it to using EM or Chevron PAO.

quote:

I believe it to be a minor change in additive package. I suspect they have contracts to deliver so much additive for blending and that some additive company convinced them they could save $0.001 per quart by juggling the Magnesium levels.

Just for clarification, in GC's case, two PAO base oils of different viscosities are blended to get to about 8.5 cSt viscosity and then the ester (a high viscosity product), derived from PAO via co-oligomerization, is added. This ester and the additive package thickens the viscosity to about 11.8-12.1 cSt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back