GC - 503.01 Spec Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've read that the 503.01 spec is a long drain spec as is the BMW LONGLIFE-01 spec.

What cars were these specs intended for and what is the OCI that is used?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: coderighter
Sorry, little new here, but whats "GC" short for?

It means "German Castrol". When you look on the back of a bottle of Castrol Syntec 0W-30, the "GC" would say either "Made in Germany" or "Made in EU".

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
I think I've read that the 503.01 spec is a long drain spec as is the BMW LONGLIFE-01 spec.

Thanks!

My '08 535i is spec'ed for a BMW LL-01 oil and the oil change interval can be as high as 15000 miles. With condition-based sensing, though it may be significantly less depending on driving habits.

Originally Posted By: jesbo
My '08 535i is spec'ed for a BMW LL-01 oil and the oil change interval can be as high as 15000 miles. With condition-based sensing, though it may be significantly less depending on driving habits.

That's good information for my apples to oranges comparison. I'm just trying to get an idea of how confident I would be doing a 10,000 mi OCI with GC in my 04 Sequoia that is known to be easy on oil. It sounds like GC can hold up for a long time in other applications. I think the current Pennzoil Platinum might make the distance, but I also think the GC would outlast it in most applications from what I've read.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond

Thanks!

on the VW/Audi side (in Europe compared to the US, the ones I can think of)
Passat W8
Audi TT225
Audi RS6
Audi S4
depending on application they were for fixed service intervals (5,000 to 10,000 miles depending on application) or variable (up to 15,000 miles) on less powerful engines.

IMO, GC is better oil than any of the OTC 30wt PP oils, especially for long drains...though I would love to try PP's european formula 0w30 & 5w40 if it could be found at a decent price.

Your fuel economy may drop a very small amount with the GC due to it's higher HTHS rating, but this oil can most likely go to 10k without issue in your application. I would limit the oci to 5-7.5k miles in the other poster's BMW 535 if it was my car, due to the direct fuel injection system.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Your fuel economy may drop a very small amount with the GC due to it's higher HTHS rating, but this oil can most likely go to 10k without issue in your application. I would limit the oci to 5-7.5k miles in the other poster's BMW 535 if it was my car, due to the direct fuel injection system.

I'll be set up for about a 7,500 mile run before before I need to have the 90k service done (i.e. timing belt) so I'll have them save me a sample at that point and see if it appears to be good for 10k on the next OCI. I just pushed past 80k and will need to change the oil at least once between now and then so I'm leaning towards shortening the planned OCI on the PP so that I can get more test miles on the GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back