GC 4700 Miles 2004 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The previous three OCI's are Redline 5W30. I switched to M02 GC for this last interval. This oil has 45 1/4 mile drag passes on it too. M05 GC is in for the current OCI.

-

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
This oil has 45 1/4 mile drag passes on it too. M05 GC is in for the current OCI.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

45 passes!?!? Holy cow. That is one seriously good UOA even without the racing, but dang, 45 passes!

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I vote GC the greatest motor oil in the history of the world.

Al,

I always knew you were incredibly bright...I just didn't realize how bright you actually were.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

The main reason Castrol/BP no longer makes this "Green" formulation is that the 3000+ ppm of high calcium detergent yields a sulphated ash level of 1.3%-1.5% - the limit for ACEA A3 is 1.5%.

The new, ACEA C3-04, medium "SAPS" - Sulphated Ash,Phosphorus,Sulphur - oils have significantly more restrictive chemical limits:

SA not to exceed 0.8%
P must be between 800-1000 ppm
Sulphur < 0.02% - this actually limits basestock selection as Group III's still contain some sulphur

In particular, the SA limit of 0.8% severely limits the # of calcium and magnesium detergents, which when burned generate metallic ash residues. These are being replaced by ashless dispersants and organic esters, which combust much more cleanly. This change will optimize the life of emissions systems components and reduce exhaust emissions.

I've spent some time reviewing the ACEA C3-04, standardized test matrix and it's even more severe than A3/B4. So I'd expect to see excellent performance from formulations meeting this new spec....

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Al,

I always knew you were incredibly bright...I just didn't realize how bright you actually were.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Hahahahahaha..If I were 10% as smart as TooSlick I'd feel good
smile.gif

Did you use any additives during this incredible feat. If not all you out there take this report and frame its a thing of beauty. So I'd expect to see excellent performance from formulations meeting this new spec.... Many of us will drive that 1/4 mile very hard to get to the oil store for some of this stuff, I know I will.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Al,

grin.gif
cheers.gif

Hahahahahaha..If I were 10% as smart as TooSlick I'd feel good
smile.gif

Yeah he's smart alright, but he strikes me as being kinda...well...slick.
wink.gif
grin.gif

The Green goes in the Honda tomorrow.
smile.gif
My same car in the U.K. calls for 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40 and even 10w-60(New Zealand). So I have no issues with GC being too thick for it.

*I will say that is without a doubt the best oil this board has ever seen in terms of wear rates and viscosity stability. Amsoil/M1 I think would edge it out in long drains.

offtopic.gif
By the way, I didn't tell you all but the Elves won the Deutsche Auszeichnung für Öl Technische Vortrefflichkeit in the Five Foot and Under Category. There was a kind of embarassing moment at the award ceremony. Jürgen went up to the podium to accept the award for the whole development team. When he got up there, the Emcee asked the rest of the team to stand up...they already were...I couldn't help but laugh and that didn't go over well.

quote:

Originally posted by LubeOiler:
Did you use any additives during this incredible feat. If not all you out there take this report and frame its a thing of beauty. So I'd expect to see excellent performance from formulations meeting this new spec.... Many of us will drive that 1/4 mile very hard to get to the oil store for some of this stuff, I know I will.
shocked.gif

No additives, this oil has been good to me, I won an NHRA Sport Compact National event with this oil. We shall see if the gold is as good as green.

I vote GC the greatest motor oil in the history of the world. Seriously..that's a great report. Looks like Redline is wasting about 500ppm of moly.

You would think that Blackstone would know by now that Redline has silicon.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

We shall see if the gold is as good as green.

quote:

M05 GC is in for the current OCI.

So, I assume that you put the Gold in. Right?
It's a little confusing since M0501 is still green and the Gold starts with M0502.

quote:

Originally posted by berge:

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
[QB] This oil has 45 1/4 mile drag passes on it too.

OT. How's the clutch?

The car probably has 200 passes on it, and the clutch is holding up like a champ. This is my second WRX, and I have never had ANY mechanical problems...They have both been bullet proof for me.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

We shall see if the gold is as good as green.

quote:

M05 GC is in for the current OCI.

So, I assume that you put the Gold in. Right?
It's a little confusing since M0501 is still green and the Gold starts with M0502.

SORRY, It is the GOLD MO502, I still have a good stock of green, but i wanted to compare.

Nice. I was debating whether to go to 5 or 6k miles before a UOA on '05 GC in my Forester turbo. Looks like 6k will be no worries!
smile.gif

-Dennis

Excellent report! I've got green GC in my '05 STi right now. Was debating on running it 4,000 or 5,000 miles, but I think I'll shoot for 5,000 and have my oil analyzed at that point (including a TBN).

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:
...I think I'll shoot for 5,000 and have my oil analyzed at that point (including a TBN).

That should be easily within GC's capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back