GC, 2002 Z28 LS1 V8, 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Camaro z28 LS1 V8.
German Castrol 0w30
K&N oil filter
Napa Gold Air filter
Fuel Power used EVERY tank
Lube Control: 11oz added at with oil and 2oz added every 1,000 miles.
5,000 miles on oil
30,000 miles on car
Engine burned almost no oil! I added 4oz to top it off around the 4,000 mile mark but that might have been the LC burning off and not the oil. I'm very happy about that!

This OCI/ 3K GC/ 3k M1/ 3k M1/ 2,389 Halvoline dino/ 3k M1

Aluminum 3/2/2/3/2/3

Chromium 1/1/1/1/1/1

Iron 20/10/12/31/9/16

Copper 42/44/56/63/52/118

Lead 10/5/5/6/4/8

Tin 2/1/3/6/3/3

Molybdenum 11/10/60/74/65/68

Nickel 1/0/1/1/0/1/

Manganese 1/1/1/1/1/0

Potassium 3/3/3/2/2/0

Boron 10/17/140/153/119/157

Silicon 10/10/12/23/37/14

Sodium 3/3/6/6/2/9

Calcium 2819/2783/2226/2485/2174/3397

Magnesium 128/102/14/17/27/17

Phosphorus 804/751/678/710/782/709

Zinc 992/821/753/858/920/993

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 64.5

Flashpoint 375

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles 0.1

TBN 3.1

I was a little dissapointed with 20ppm Iron but then I remembered this was batch M02... German Castrol which had something like 9ppm Iron to start with so I'm guessing my Iron is really closer to 11-15ppm which is not bad.
smile.gif

Edit to add:
My engine still "diesels" and knocks a lot like most of these LS1's do. It runs really strong though and burns no oil. I don't really even notice the knocking/diesel sounds anymore.
gr_eek2.gif

[ June 03, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Chris B. ]

Good report. The results are basically the same across the board, however Iron and Pb is higher with GC. All oils today show great wear. It's best to pick one and stick with it. I doubt all GC VOA's have 9ppm of Fe though.
smile.gif

[ June 03, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
. I doubt all GC VOA's have 9ppm of Fe though.
smile.gif

I don't know? I just remember reading that on here a while back. It seemed all the earlier GC had high Iron in it. I remember the 9ppm remark made several times.

This GC in my report is some of the 1st stuff to hit the market. All GC in my stash now is from batch 3 and 4. I refilled my engine with batch 2 and 3 so it still has some eariler GC it it.

I'm curious as to why all the short OCI's with the M1 and GC? 3K on GC? Do you drive it HARD, as in "turn key/put in gear/floor it till you reach your destination" or maybe "see similar car at stoplight/rev engine to signal race challenge/floor it till one is declared a winner"...any of that goin on? All kidding aside, I'm just curious, because where I'm at, GC is all but extinct, and it was too expesive in the first place to change it at 3K.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I'm curious as to why all the short OCI's with the M1 and GC? 3K on GC? Do you drive it HARD, as in "turn key/put in gear/floor it till you reach your destination" or maybe "see similar car at stoplight/rev engine to signal race challenge/floor it till one is declared a winner"...any of that goin on? All kidding aside, I'm just curious, because where I'm at, GC is all but extinct, and it was too expesive in the first place to change it at 3K.

A few races but normal day to day driving and nothing to hard. The reason I was doing short OCI was the engine was rebuilt at 12,000 miles do to oil burinig and knocking. The Dealer took care of that under warranty. The Halvoline was the Re-breakin OCI. I wanted to see if the rebuild had any effect on wear so I tried to keep all OCI at around 3,000 miles. Do a search on my user # or name to read up on the history of this LS1 if you like. I posted all info on it in the past.

Now that it seems that the engine is putting up like wear numbers I'll do the max OCI allowed by GM to keep my 60,000 mile warranty in place. I think it is 7,500 OCI for GM. I have enough of GC to do several oil changes still.

OHHH, ok then. Well, that's understandable. Dang..a rebuild already @ 12K? Good thing dealer covered that lol. I did a couple of short OCI's in my Grand Am before switching to GC myself. One ~1300 miles, another for 3K (both dealer dino), then another ~5K run on M1. But, I plan on running the GC till my OLM tells me to change it...which hopefully will be around 7K or so..

Everything seems fine except for the elevated lead. If you want to know what's up, contact Terry Dyson or perhaps Too Slick might chim in.

P.S. I think you need to change your air filter.

I just got Terry's input but I had to give a few tidbits of info and now I'm waiting to hear back from him.

The Air filter is a Napa Gold and has been in use for aprox 10 to 15 thousand miles(I can't remember exactly when it was installed. So you think it is in need of a change?

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
OHHH, ok then. Well, that's understandable. Dang..a rebuild already @ 12K? Good thing dealer covered that lol. I did a couple of short OCI's in my Grand Am before switching to GC myself. One ~1300 miles, another for 3K (both dealer dino), then another ~5K run on M1. But, I plan on running the GC till my OLM tells me to change it...which hopefully will be around 7K or so..

Yeah a rebuild at 12K is a pain in the rear!! Many of these LS1 V8's had to get a rebuild under warranty. GM came up with new piston design to correct oil burning and "dieseling". My oil burning is now gone for the most part but the knocking is still there. Hopefully the knocking so many of these LS1 have will not lessen the life of the engine. Time will tell but in the mean time she runs like a raped ape and never lost a race yet! As long as she keeps running strong I won't worrie about the noise engine.
grin.gif

Consider this with M1

"M1 and many oils start off with a certain level of Fe compound in their formulations.
The anti-wear compounds react with the iron and steel to form ferrous-phospates, ferrous-borates, etc. Some of the ferrous (iron) compounds are liberated into oil when separated from the surfacial film.
You have to have a GLOBAL view of oils and analysis."

I'd stick with the GC, but consider that these UOA's aren't as black and white as many make them out to be and as I've finally learned. Redline is a great example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back