GC 0W30 vs M1 0w30 and 0w40 in a Volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using German Castrol 0w30 in my 2004 Volvo XC70 for years with good UOA results. It costs me about $68 for an oil change doing it myself with the GC. I can get Mobil 1 0w30 and 0w40 for $22 at my local Wal-Mart which is so much cheaper!. Does anyone know if the M1 0W30 or 0W40 would perform as well or better in the Volvo's engine? I know Volvos like thicker oil and GC is a thick 30wt oil. The car has 98,000 miles on it and I don't want to cause any oil burning or other problems making the switch but it would be nice to save a little money. Thanks for any input!

I used both GC and M1 0W40 in my S60R when I had it. The car seemed to run the same on both. I tried M1 0W30 and the engine seemed noisier to I switched back to GC when I could get it.

I use to run GC in my mercedes, and the car ran considerably better on it, than the factory fill of M1 0-40. I personally think GC is superior the M1, but that is only my opinion. More will depend on your OCI. Hope that helps some.

What weight does it spec? If 0w30/5w30/0w40/5w40 then either M1 0w30 or 0w40 will more than suffice *if that is the weight that is called for*. $68 is a lot to spend on an oil change, by my standards anyway.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have been using German Castrol 0w30 in my 2004 Volvo XC70 for years with good UOA results. It costs me about $68 for an oil change doing it myself with the GC. I can get Mobil 1 0w30 and 0w40 for $22 at my local Wal-Mart which is so much cheaper!. Does anyone know if the M1 0W30 or 0W40 would perform as well or better in the Volvo's engine? I know Volvos like thicker oil and GC is a thick 30wt oil. The car has 98,000 miles on it and I don't want to cause any oil burning or other problems making the switch but it would be nice to save a little money. Thanks for any input!

Why not try Mobil 1 0w40? As you suggest, it's a terrific value compared to GC. I use Mobil 1 0w40 in a couple different cars. It's not fair to judge it on it's price, it's right up there with GC if not better.

Try it in your car, if you like it, you probably will, you saved some money. Otherwise, you could alway switch back to GC at the next oil change.

I run Petro Canada Duron 0W30. $3.12/qt from local distributor in 5 gallon pails. There are several M1 0W30, 0W40 UAO's for Volvo white blocks posted here and all are excellent. The oil separator/PCV on this engine is prone to clogging, and replacement is expensive (>$500) unless you can DIY. I'll stay with a syn for this reason.

Advance Auto or Auto Zone frequently have 5 quarts Castrol syn with a filter for $33. GC included.

I'd consider M1 0W-40 the better oil as compared to GC, JMHO.
It really is a bargain by the jug at Walmart as well.
If this engine really needs something like GC, M1 0W-30 would probably not be suitable for it.
As others have noted, you can almost always find Syntec on sale somewhere that stocks the GC flavor if your really prefer to use GC.

To those advising the OP to try other 0w-30 oils, his manual may allow for their use, but also require them to meet ACEA A3 (or a Volvo spec stating HT/HS of 3.5cp or greater), which would eliminate M1 0w-30 and PC 0w-30.

Of course, it may well not NEED an A3 spec oil, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. We all know the M1 0w-40 is an approved lube and a great value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
To those advising the OP to try other 0w-30 oils, his manual may allow for their use, but also require them to meet ACEA A3 (or a Volvo spec stating HT/HS of 3.5cp or greater), which would eliminate M1 0w-30 and PC 0w-30.

Of course, it may well not NEED an A3 spec oil, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. We all know the M1 0w-40 is an approved lube and a great value.

My 2007 V70 & V70R manual states the following:

Engine Oil specifications: "Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification of GF-3, API SL and A1/B1." Also: "Synthetic oils meeting SAE 0W-30 and 0W-40 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperature extremes (hot or cold), when pulling a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas." There is no mention of meeting an ACEA A3 spec or HTHSv of 3.5cp or greater. PC Duron 0W30 has an HTHSv spec of 3.3cp and an API SM rating.

Is it a mistake to run PC Duron 0W30?

Thanks everyone! No time to read all the posts right now so I'll check later. Keep them coming!

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Engine Oil specifications: "Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification of GF-3, API SL and A1/B1." Also: "Synthetic oils meeting SAE 0W-30 and 0W-40 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperature extremes (hot or cold), when pulling a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas." There is no mention of meeting an ACEA A3 spec or HTHSv of 3.5cp or greater. PC Duron 0W30 has an HTHSv spec of 3.3cp and an API SM rating.

Looks like Duron is good to go and I was mistaken- that is if the OP's manual is the same as yours.

Not being sure what the OP's manual required, I figured that it's specs would parallel that of many of the other Euro manufacturers. I know I didn't word it clearly enough, but it was meant to be cautionary, not absolute.

I would go with the M-1 0-40 since it is SN rated, and GC is SL rated. M-1 0-40 is the only Mobil-1 I would ever run--IMO all the other M-1s are overated, and underperform in service

Originally Posted By: steve20
I would go with the M-1 0-40 since it is SN rated, and GC is SL rated. M-1 0-40 is the only Mobil-1 I would ever run--IMO all the other M-1s are overated, and underperform in service

What about M1 0w20 for Hondas? Also what is SN and SL rating again?

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Hi Sam,

I'm surprised you can get PC oils in Connecticut and $3.12/qt is as super price.
Yes the HDEO Duron 0W-30 is an good choice for your Volvo. PC oil are a bit shear prone but that should be a non issue since Duron is a heavier than necessary oil to start with. (See the following UOA compared to a TGMO/M1 0W-40 blend):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3070493&page=1

For the OP, since a light 30 grade oil is what's spec'd by Volvo I wouldn't be using GC or M1 0W-40. Any 5W-30 syn' would be preferable but if you are going to be starting the car unaided at temp's down around -30F, M1 AFE would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: steve20
M-1 0-40 is the only Mobil-1 I would ever run--IMO all the other M-1s are overated, and underperform in service

What about M1 0w20 for Hondas?

M1 0W-20 is fine for Hondas and is a superb choice if extreme cold performance is what you're after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back