GC 0w-30, OCI in Ford 4.6/5.4 V8s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, what kind of OCI is recommended when using GC 0W-30 in a Ford 4.6/5.4 2V V8 in normal daily driving duty?

I've been using M1 5W-30 for the past several oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Generally speaking, what kind of OCI is recommended when using GC 0W-30 in a Ford 4.6/5.4 2V V8 in normal daily driving duty?

I've been using M1 5W-30 for the past several oil changes.

According to Castrol, every 3000 miles.
rolleyes.gif

I would go by whatever your owners manual says. My '97 Expedition 4.6L manual calls for 5k mile OCI's.

The manual says 3000 miles, but that is for non-synthetic engine oil.

IIRC, German Castrol 0W-30 is a Group IV synthetic. A 5000 mile OCI would be a total waste of money.

I change M1 5W-30 every 7k-9k miles in these engines.

This is a direct quote from Castrol, dated 2-7-05:

"Using SYNTEC does not directly translate into extended oil change intervals for any vehicle that uses it. Some vehicle manufacturers have oil drain intervals up to 10,000 miles with their vehicles. This is only when the vehicle is equipped with an onboard diagnostics system and oil condition monitors that evaluate a multitude of factors in determining the oil drain interval.

Castrol leans toward the conservative side, and recommends following the guidelines of the manufacturer which can be found in your vehicle's manual for the specific type of driving you do.

This is important because combustion byproducts and other contaminants are still going to build up in any type or brand of motor oil. A number of factors including the engine design, type of driving, weather conditions, oil filter used, etc. determine how much buildup is created.

Today’s full-flow filters effectively remove abrasives from the entire output of the oil pump under normal conditions. However, the oil filter does not remove by-products of combustion such as acid, soot, abrasives, water and unburned fuel contaminants. All of these substances can have damaging effects on both the performance and life of your engine. Therefore, it is very important to change the oil and filter regularly.

We recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles (or 3 months).

We have tested our oil under considerably higher oil change intervals and it has performed very well. However, with the number of unknowns as mentioned above, we must err on the side of caution and reiterate that the manufacturers' recommendation be followed."

That is just typical liability BS. Ask any oil maker except Amsoil or Mobil and they will say the same thing.

Mobil is starting to get real expensive due to the new GF4 formula, new packaging, and new varieties of M1 available. I'm just trying to find a less expensive Group IV oil.

If you're doing 7-9 OCI's with Mobil 1 5W-30 you should easily do at least the same with GC. Check in the UOA forum, there should be UOA's with GC. Also these Ford modular engines seem "easy" on the oil and don't beat it up like say some engines. I'd be interested in seeing how the modular engine likes the "thicker" 30 weight. I have the 4.6 in my 2002 F-150 and now that my warranty just expired I'm contemplating using Schaeffer's 5W-30 Supreme with LC and FP and doing 1 year or 10,000 mile OCI's. Though in all honesty I've been happy with the Motorcraft 5W-20 "water"
wink.gif
. It's performed well, especially in this years frigid temps we've had. Always turned over immediately without any "painful" sounds due to slow flowing oil. The only "painful" sound at frigid temps is the "wounded cat" sound from the ps pump
rolleyes.gif
. I'm going to use synthetic Mercon in the ps system instead of the factory Mercon to see if that helps. I mean let's face it. How can you be hooked on BITOG and not experiment with different oils until you find "Thee" oil, like Patman and GC, well at least temporarily anyway
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

That is just typical liability BS. Ask any oil maker except Amsoil or Mobil and they will say the same thing.

Mobil is starting to get real expensive due to the new GF4 formula, new packaging, and new varieties of M1 available. I'm just trying to find a less expensive Group IV oil.

A five quart jug of M1 EP is 23.82 which works out to 4.77/quart,not too shabby when GC runs 4.79 to 5+...Discounting sales that is and the pep boys buy 3 get 3 free can't be beat..Just my $0.02....

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:

quote:

$4.77/qt is too much money for M1 when I used to pay $4/qt ($20/5qt jug).

The non-EP is under 20 bucks for the 5 quart jugs at wm...

Not anymore. All the walmarts in my area are selling the GF-4 M1 for $23/5qt jug. There are no more $19.87/5qt M1 jugs available.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:

quote:

$4.77/qt is too much money for M1 when I used to pay $4/qt ($20/5qt jug).

The non-EP is under 20 bucks for the 5 quart jugs at wm...

Not anymore. All the walmarts in my area are selling the GF-4 M1 for $23/5qt jug. There are no more $19.87/5qt M1 jugs available.

No kidding.There seems to be an abundance here.Good luck in your endeavor..

quote:

Originally posted by High Plains Drifter:
Whimsey, try some lube control in the power steering pump and see if it helps the noise...

I already added about 2oz in the ps and it didn't help
frown.gif
. It might have reduced the noise a bit, but it's still there.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:

quote:

Originally posted by High Plains Drifter:
Whimsey, try some lube control in the power steering pump and see if it helps the noise...

I already added about 2oz in the ps and it didn't help
frown.gif
. It might have reduced the noise a bit, but it's still there.

Auto-RX made mine quiet. Mine was loud all the time. I suppose I would like to replace the fluid now, but just have not decided what to put in there and picked it up. Let me know what you decide on, and I'll see about doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back