GC 0W-30 and the new GC 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks!

We have a "Since German Castrol is gone...." thread over on LS1tech. It discusses the discontinuation of what we've had available (here in The US) as German made Castrol 0W-30 oil.

It's been posted that there's a Castrol 0W-40 that's made in Germany, I believe it was previously made in Belgium and searching around here, it's discussed as "BC 0W-40"

Would this "new" German made 0W-40 oil be the equivalent to what we all had highly held as "German Castrol"?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

GC_zps52317ec7.jpg

There's a theory that this is pretty much the same product that zee Germans purchase for $100+.

And that the 0w30 is the same as the 0w40 apart from having less viscosity improvers.

The more recent bottles have Titanium in them as well and should say so on the outside.

Both are supposedly PAO.

Thank you folks for your blazing fast responses!

From the chart posted by Gokhan in the link provided by Jimzz, it's a group III.

Conclusion, the current German made Castrol 0W-40 oil is NOT the same (hot viscosity notwithstanding) as the GC we've had for a good number of years now.

Thanks for the education!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Paul_Bell
From the chart posted by Gokhan in the link provided by Jimzz, it's a group III.

Considering how low the pour point is on Castrol 0w-40, I would say it's got a good amount of PAO in it.

The 0w40 is the full synthetic from what i can tell, with a pour point of -76f (-60C) i cant see it being a grp III.
It has the same dark color as the native product. No idea about the 0w30 i don't need it so i haven't looked.

Yes folks, I stand corrected, the current German made Castrol 0W-40 IS a group IV/V fully synthetic oil. Good news! I had looked at the "professional" listing of it.

I was at the nearest Walmart last week and they had more than 5-6 jugs 0W40 at $21.xx a jug. Comparing with M1 0E40 at $26.xx I think Castrol Edge 0W40 is a good buy right now.

I'm about to change my oil using the last of my PP, if I can find the Castrol at a decent price I might pick it up and give the 0w-40 a try over the summer.

The 0w30 has NOT been discontinued. It's just being made in Belgium now. The 0w30 and 0w40 just switched factories
smile.gif

40 used to be Belgian, now it's German.
30 used to be German, now it's Belgian.

Unfortunately, their 0w30 has never been sold at Walmart, regardless of country of origin!

They seem to be expanding their US lineup, as now their Edge 10w60 and 5w30 A3/B4 now have a US PDS. Of course, good luck finding them!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The 0w30 has NOT been discontinued. It's just being made in Belgium now. The 0w30 and 0w40 just switched factories
smile.gif

40 used to be Belgian, now it's German.
30 used to be German, now it's Belgian.

Unfortunately, their 0w30 has never been sold at Walmart, regardless of country of origin!

They seem to be expanding their US lineup, as now their Edge 10w60 and 5w30 A3/B4 now have a US PDS. Of course, good luck finding them!

ah-HA!

Originally Posted By: Trav
The 0w40 is the full synthetic from what i can tell, with a pour point of -76f (-60C) i cant see it being a grp III.
It has the same dark color as the native product. No idea about the 0w30 i don't need it so i haven't looked.

Where does one find the full syn professional variant?

The regular 0w-30 and -40 you get at the parts store is this:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/9A32D5E3D16D0C5B80257C1600466D1C/$File/BPXE-9AJFL6.pdf

There is a "professional" product with -76 pour point, but where does one find it?

It appears the Professional line (-76 pour point) is only available at car dealerships. I assume that they could possibly be available at a Volkswagon dealership or possibly where other German models are sold? The 0w-40 (-60 pour point), available at Wal-mart for example, must be a different formulation.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
-60 Celsius equals -76 Fahrenheit

According to its TDS, Castrol Edge 0w-40 has a pour point of -60F (-53C).

Strangely, -60F does not equal -53C. Basic math must not be Castrol's strong point.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Strangely, -60F does not equal -53C. Basic math must not be Castrol's strong point.

33.gif
You just can't make this stuff up sometimes.

Interestingly, I picked up a bottle of the syntec 0W-30 "GC" today at autozone for the snowblower. It was made in Belgium (pics tomorrow). I thought that was interesting. It also was not green, but more gold.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm surprised they didn't just put OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back