GC 0-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to those that advocate this stuff..... And I do not dispute nor challenge this elixir of the gods....please allow one simple/humble statement/observation.
Many strings here at BITOG contain references to GC 0-30....it is recommended constantly..and yet there are many many of us who cannot get this stuff. It does not exist...AutoZone has wore out the phone lines with HQ down here....nope...not available....Mobil1/Amsoil/Schaffer/RedLine/Pennzoil etc. yup...we can get it anywhere....GC0-30...nowhere to be found....
Sorry for the ramble....not sure of my point myself:) Just a friendly reminder that probably the majority of folks reading these strings cannot even get GC 0-30 so it gets a little frustrating after awhile.....maybe a "near" product could be also recommended when making mention of GC 0-30...I dunno.....thanks

I live in Tennessee. I just go to my local AutoZone a few blocks away and just pick it up. I think it works great.
dunno.gif
The board also recommend Chevron and it's like trying to find hen's teeth around here.

Basically it's great and convenient for some of us. I don't know of any real equivalent. M1 0W-40 or Amsoil ATM maybe close enough.

[ February 03, 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Yes, I concur with the recommendation that Mobil-1 0w-40 is a very similar product, and will probably produce similar results in any given application. But alas, it's got no green hue about it either.

Availability of GC does seem to be geograpically inconsistent. If you live in a well-stocked area, easy, if not, impossible. If you fall into the latter category, don't sweat about it, just try the Mobil and be done with it.
cheers.gif

Considering as how you are a newer member, I will add this.

In a sense, "German Castrol" does not exist. German Castrol is a name that was made up here. About 3 years ago Castrol dropped their line of US made Castrol Syntec 0w-30. It was replaced with German made Syntec 0w-30 in a very similar container. The average AutoZone employee and his "upper brass" bosses know nothing of GC. All they know is Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Asking most of them for help will get you no where. You are on your own for a search of GC.

If the bottle says 0w-30 in yellow, don't bother looking at it. If it is in red, pick it up and look at the back. If it says "Made in Germany", you have a winner. Any new Syntec 0w-30 brought into the store should be GC, so its just a matter of waiting for them to sell off the old stock.

This is all of the help I can give you.

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:
With all due respect to those that advocate this stuff..... And I do not dispute nor challenge this elixir of the gods....please allow one simple/humble statement/observation.
Many strings here at BITOG contain references to GC 0-30....it is recommended constantly..and yet there are many many of us who cannot get this stuff. It does not exist...AutoZone has wore out the phone lines with HQ down here....nope...not available....Mobil1/Amsoil/Schaffer/RedLine/Pennzoil etc. yup...we can get it anywhere....GC0-30...nowhere to be found....
Sorry for the ramble....not sure of my point myself:) Just a friendly reminder that probably the majority of folks reading these strings cannot even get GC 0-30 so it gets a little frustrating after awhile.....maybe a "near" product could be also recommended when making mention of GC 0-30...I dunno.....thanks

My Autozone has it but I haven't bought any yet. It seems once you use this stuff you are hooked and I have too many vices as it is!

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:

So where in the Hill country are you at? There are a few here on the board in both Austin and San Antonio that have found it localy, and plenty here in Houston (5 of 5 have had it here).

All:

FYI, I was at the La Crosse WI AutoZone yesterday. They had all weights of Castrol Syntec on sale for $3.99. I took the 12 bottles of 0w-30 GC I found. Then the bottles were all Yellow label 0w-30. They did not have any cases of 0w-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Shaun:
All:

FYI, I was at the La Crosse WI AutoZone yesterday. They had all weights of Castrol Syntec on sale for $3.99. I took the 12 bottles of 0w-30 GC I found. Then the bottles were all Yellow label 0w-30. They did not have any cases of 0w-30.

Yep, that was also the case for me at the AutoZone in Delavan, WI a couple days ago. I bought the last 7 quarts of it and the rest was the standard yellow US spec 0w30.

Paul

every autozone I've been to in my area stocked German Castrol

One place only had 5 quarts GC and the rest was north american crap. However every other place had all GC for their 0w30 stock.

Guess its location dependent huh?
dunno.gif

Plenty near my house in Md, maybe they order what sells, supply and demand. Also some new 5W/30 Mobil 1. 5.19 a quart.

Our nearest Autozone just clearanced out all versions of Castrol 0W-30. US consumers for the most part do not understand 0W-anything. They have been conditioned to buy 5W-xx and 10W-xx oils.

Looks like GC R.I.P. to me!

John

I e-mailed Castrol this morning begging them not to discontinue the GC. If they keep making it, but AutoZone stops carrying it, then what?......Will AZ special order oil if you request it?

There is one place where the GC NEVER runs out...and it is fresh...unbelievably fresh.
 -

(You have NO IDEA how tough it was for me to get t h e m to let me show you this.)
wink.gif

quote:

So where in the Hill country are you at? There are a few here on the board in both Austin and San Antonio that have found it localy, and plenty here in Houston (5 of 5 have had it here).

I'm 13 miles outside of Boerne (ranch)
Been to every San Antonio/Austin and a few in Houston AutoZones and no luck...I apologize...if this came across as a weeiner statement/post...I was just frustrated as I would like to run some of this stuff as every other post has GC 0-30 in it:)
I am running Amsoil 5-30/10-40 mix right now in my LS1 and Mobil 0-40 in my Dodge R/T...05 Mercedes is getting Mobil 1 0-40 from the dealership as factory fill (3000 miles on it)....thank you all for your offers and insight...my take on this exercise.....that stuff is not to be had around here unless your "lucky"......thanks again folks....

I've looked in more Auto-Zones than I care to remember and tons of other places. I haven't seen one quart of GC yet.

the autozone in Gaylord, MI has close to 60 bottles of GC. in fact, their entire stock is all GC in the 0w30 bottles.

the AZ down the road from me, its had exactly 2 cases that were GC in the past 3 years. I know, i know a guy who works there. I bought one case 3 months ago, and the last one sits in the back store room.

if i need any, i'll have them transfer a case or two from the Gaylord store.

I'm adding this update to all recent GC topics. I just received this e-mail from Castrol:

Thank you for contacting Castrol.

You can rest assured that Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 available in North America, is the exact same product as Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 manufactured
in Germany. The North American Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 offers the same performance as the German SYNTEC 0W-30, and the performance attributes are clearly demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals
indicated for each of our individual product offerings.

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and
component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met
whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. The performance
specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product
to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

Castrol SYNTEC SAE 0W-30 exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and
turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.
Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3
for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Please follow the guidelines of the manufacturer for the recommended GRADE and API specific to your application. This information can be
found in the vehicles owner's manual or by visiting the GRADE CALCULATOR at: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do?categoryId=82915691

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!

Castrol Consumer Relations
END QUOTE

I just bought the entire stock of GC in Fargo ND and Stevens Point WI. 33 + 16 quarts total.

The clerk in Fargo said that all the new stuff coming in is yellow not red label.

So my truck should be good for the next 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back