Gave Blood Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Congrats on being cancer free Al!

25+ ga. cmv-, blood & platelet donor here. Started donating in high school. I retired several years ago. Figured it was time for the younger generations to step up, step in and get stuck.

Thanks

Wow on the 25+ gal. I have a lowly 2 gallons but I hope I can add to it.

I remember when I started in high school...I was the skinny, tall, awkward kid (who hated needles BTW...)but wanted to 'arm up' for a good cause & the cookies. Imagine my surprise when I saw more-than-a-few tough guys & jocks either turn white-as-a-sheet and pass out or throw up immediately afterwards!

"What's the big deal?" I asked...

More cookies & orange juice for me!

I remember when I started in high school...I was the skinny, tall, awkward kid (who hated needles BTW...)but wanted to 'arm up' for a good cause & the cookies. Imagine my surprise when I saw more-than-a-few tough guys & jocks either turn white-as-a-sheet and pass out or throw up immediately afterwards!

I've been donating since I was 18 (so there's been a bit of water under the bridge since then). At one of my former workplaces in the mid-1980s, a mobile Red Cross clinic used to set up in the parking lot, and I'd give right after finishing the night shift @ 0800. Anyway, there was was a reasonable contingent of us who would donate, and I invited one of the fellows who was a big guy who was into body-building and chasing women. He replied, "No way, I don't want to get AIDS!" Uh, that's not how it works ... I figured he was afraid of the needle.

It's interesting to hear you all speak of the number of gallons donated. Here we go by number of donations. I think they take about 0.5 litres a time, so that's roughly 7.5 donations to make a US gallon. So hats off to all of you who have donated gallons and gallons!

After the tainted-blood Hep C scandal in the 90s, the responsibility for collecting blood was taken away from the Red Cross and a new agency, Canadian Blood Services, was created. Anyway, that's where I get my one doughnut every eight weeks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Number_35

I've been donating since I was 18 (so there's been a bit of water under the bridge since then). At one of my former workplaces in the mid-1980s, a mobile Red Cross clinic used to set up in the parking lot, and I'd give right after finishing the night shift @ 0800. Anyway, there was was a reasonable contingent of us who would donate, and I invited one of the fellows who was a big guy who was into body-building and chasing women. He replied, "No way, I don't want to get AIDS!" Uh, that's not how it works ... I figured he was afraid of the needle.

It's interesting to hear you all speak of the number of gallons donated. Here we go by number of donations. I think they take about 0.5 litres a time, so that's roughly 7.5 donations to make a US gallon. So hats off to all of you who have donated gallons and gallons!

After the tainted-blood Hep C scandal in the 90s, the responsibility for collecting blood was taken away from the Red Cross and a new agency, Canadian Blood Services, was created. Anyway, that's where I get my one doughnut every eight weeks.
smile.gif

We had a massive outbreak on hep C in Fremont,Nebraska in 2002. Only oncologist in that city was reusing syringes used to treat cancer patients at his clinic. Two days after the story broke, the doctor told his staff that he needed to travel home to Pakistan to help his sick mother.The doctor is still AWOL. Nebraska authorities would like to see the doctor return to the US. The state taxpayers ultimately picked up the tab for treatment of ninety nine individuals who were already burdened with cancer and then had to contend with hep C.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I have a lot of iron, and have a family history of hypertension. I started giving about 12 years ago, and I felt better afterwards. I kept doing it. They found I was O+, so they call me as soon as I can give. I give double, too. I’m over 5 gallons now.

I'd LOVE to give blood. But cannot. About a dozen years ago I found out from the Red Cross that they have a ban against anyone who was in the UK during the 1980's Mad Cow disease era. I was there in Holy Loch, Scotland with the US Navy for a total of around 9-12 months. So, there you go.

I always felt better after donating and would still do it but I was stationed in the UK during the mad cow disease outbreak so they won't let me donate. I can donate anywhere else but not in the US.

I haven't donated in years, BUT I am participating in a bird flu study at a local hospital...they inoculated me with an experimental bird flu vaccine and are doing monthly bloodwork to see how I react to it. They take 12 vials of blood each time. A couple of times I've gone to the early-morning blood draws a little dehydrated and hungover and they have had a devil of a time getting a vein and filling the vials.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I haven't donated in years, BUT I am participating in a bird flu study at a local hospital...they inoculated me with an experimental bird flu vaccine and are doing monthly bloodwork to see how I react to it. They take 12 vials of blood each time. A couple of times I've gone to the early-morning blood draws a little dehydrated and hungover and they have had a devil of a time getting a vein and filling the vials.

What prompted you to do that? Sounds kind of risky to use your body as a guinea pig.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

Good for you!!!

I do get a small stipend for the visits to get the bloodwork done...$50 for each visit and $100 for each of the two injections. I figure SOMEBODY has to be the guinea pig, why not me?

P&G also does all sorts of studies through ICF research...I have done paid studies on toothpaste, tooth whitening strips, shampoo...tried to get in a laundry soap study but didn't make the cut.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Its been 6 years since I last gave. I had cancer 5+ years ago. I got the green light to give. I will be 72 in Feb!

I really feel good, physically and mentally. I don't know why I feel physically better when I give, but I do.

I'm O-positive. I don't give nearly as often as I should. This thread kind of reminded me I haven't done it in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back