Gator Mulching Blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
I believe some say your supposed to side discharge when mulching with Gators.

Yes this is how you want to run your Gator Blades. After high school I started a lawn company with my best friend and roommate. (I sold my 1/2 and now he has a million dallar lawn service company go figure).

In my experience the Gators worked great with our 32 and 36" Toro's and 48" Scags with side discarge. They work great in a multiple blade setup and having a side discharge open is even better.
Gators do not work nearly as well in a small 21-22" enclosed "mulching style" mower.

Last edited:
Why is it that no matter what blades (including Gators) I use in a month the leading edge feels dull?

Is it just me?

Does one need to sharpen monthly with a tractor on a 3/4 acre lot?

I just put a gator blade on my 22" Toro recycler, and I got to tell you that it just does not mulch like the OEM blade (Atomic blade). I also get a trail of grass on the rear left side tire.

I'm heading back to the atomic blade. I just hope I can remember this next year, so I don't go out and buy/try a mulching blade again!!!

They do cut the grass into small pieces when you have a 2 bladed tractor and side discharge.

With a 21" mower the company says to get a mulcher kit and not side-discharge.

Overall they do cut very smoothly...do very well on wet grass with little or no clumping...excellent dispersion.

My gut feeling is that you need a 2 blade system to get the full result.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Why is it that no matter what blades (including Gators) I use in a month the leading edge feels dull?

Is it just me?

Does one need to sharpen monthly with a tractor on a 3/4 acre lot?

I think this is common, are you sharpening them to thin? I make mine sharp as a knife and they dull from that degree of sharpness quickly, but still much sharper than a factory blade.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Why is it called a "mulcher" if its really for side discharge or bagging?

IME the blade cuts the grass short and fine like a mulcher but still you are able to use a side discharger.

I would not recommend Gator Blades to anyone with a "21-22 home stlye mulching mower. I would not dissuade this choice either, I would recommend getting the mulching blade made by the brand you have for that mower.

If you have a 32"+ high volume side discharge mower, I would highly recommend Gator Blades.

FWIW: I have a Ferris 48" cut ZTR w/mulch kit and run 3 gators, works fine in dry grass @ WOT, I find a lot of people forget to run WOT and maybe this has something to do with their outcome? Even my owners book says to run @ WOT. YMMV

BTW-I get all my blades @ http://www.expressmowerparts.com great prices and service too

(WOT=wide open throttle)

Last edited:
I just got a Oregon Gator 3-in-1 blade (96-607) for my Toro 22" Recycler. So far to me it looks like it clumps worse but does mulch smaller than OEM Toro 3-in-1.

The reason I got it was to reduce clumping, not mulch smaller.

I am going to continue to use it, I've only mowed twice with it so far. I want to see if it does better when it gets hotter outside, it has been cool and damp.

I do mulch my lawn but wanted to see how it side-discharged so I took it to vacant lot I own. I think it does that as good if not better than Toro OEM blade, but I only mow lot every 3 weeks, so the tall grass/weeds may have something to do with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back