Gateway MCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway 820GM Desktop with Microsoft MCE OS. Are the Motherboards on all Gateways different than the IBM versions?

When I moved last summer I fired it up to get it going again. All I got was a memory code beeping on the Motherboard.

The Computer was working fine before I moved. I was pretty kid gloves with it when I moved it. I upgraded the total memory to 2 GB awhile back.

I tried switching the 2 sticks of 512 memory and still get the memory error. It does three beeps and does not boot. Any heads up things to look at that could be a likely problem area?

I have the tuner card and video card in right now.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/102129/102129nv.shtml

This is from the Intel motherboard manual. Don't know if it's different than Gateway?

4.5 BIOS Beep Codes
Whenever a recoverable error occurs during POST, the BIOS displays an error message describing the problem (see Table 56). The BIOS also issues a beep code (one long tone followed by two short tones) during POST if the video configuration fails (a faulty video card or no card installed) or if an external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero.
An external ROM module (for example, a video BIOS) can also issue audible errors, usually consisting of one long tone followed by a series of short tones. For more information on the beep codes issued, check the documentation for that external device.
There are several POST routines that issue a POST terminal error and shut down the system if they fail. Before shutting down the system, the terminal-error handler issues a beep code signifying the test point error, writes the error to I/O port 80h, attempts to initialize the video and writes the error in the upper left corner of the screen (using both monochrome and color adapters). If POST completes normally, the BIOS issues one short beep before passing control to the operating system.
Table 56. Beep Codes
Beep
Description
CPU error
Memory error
System failure
System failure
Video error

Reseat all the sticks of memory and all the cards and clear the CMOS. Try the memory individually to see if you can get a post out of it. Maybe one went bad and you can single it out in this way.

Your computer has been running fine and you've made no other recent changes. This is kind of what is happening.

I put one of the original memory sticks in the appropriate slot. I then cleared bios no go.
I then installed a pair of memory no go.

No matter what I get memory error. Even with no memory.
I am going to try another power supply. I have been checking the connectors.

http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/umg08.asp

Look at the top of the capacitors, especially those near the processor and ram. See if the tops appear distended or even a little domed. This is often a problem on production machines that are four or more years old. I've seen it primarily on eMachine and Dell computers, but it can happen to any board. It would indicate a bad board.

Yes, they can, but all they're going to do is change out every other part in the computer and see if it posts. They're not going to do anything particularly special. A good technician should be able to change out everything, perform a post test and put the original stuff back in there in less than half an hour so don't buy a bill of goods, this is something that can be done by a child with the proper equipment. I did it regularly starting at the age of 10.

Would the computer still show the memory error with the hardrive, CD rom/DVD, video card, TV tuner card, card reader etc not connected?

If any other component was bad it would still show the memory error correct?

I normally do all my computer work but I am stymied by this one.

Last edited:
Well, I've seen other non-memory stuff cause memory errors to be thrown. I'd be willing to bet that your board has gone bad, but it never hurts to completely tear down the machine. I'd bet the HD, CDROM, and card reader have nothing to do with it. If the board has onboard video I'd leave everything disconnected except the power supply and one stick of ram. All you're looking for is the post screen. If you try it with every stick of ram you have and can't get a post screen, I'd be 99%+ sure that your board was bad. If it was mine, that's what I would do. If you do get it to post, then you know that the board probably isn't bad. Add one component at a time until the failure happens again. That should help you narrow it down.

I have played with a total of 4 sticks of ram before. Two that came with the computer and two that were an upgrade. I will try all four in one slot again just to make sure because it was a while ago.

A bad power supply could be a cause? I have an extra I could try a test with. It has a separate video card. So I will try disconnect everything from the motherboard except for the power supply.

Intel® Desktop Boards D915GAV/D915GAG

So if the motherboard is bad I guess I need to get the same one to go with the restore disc or I have to buy a new OS for the new motherboard?

Thanks for the info

PS I realized if I take out the video card I can't see the monitor. But if boots past the memory error but before the bios stuff comes than that would work correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back