Gates timing belt not made to correct specs

Obligatory:

tp_shrinkage_001.jpg

According to Gates, that belt is supposed to be 7/8" wide.
Now? ... or back in 2016 when the used belt was new? Was the used belt measured when new? How do we know if Gates didn't changed the width between 2016 and now?

Or the race belt fits more than one application and the narrowness is designed for the other one, but obviously it was strong enough to work for you without breaking and Gates knew it would be. Your take on it may be more valid than mine, just spitballing out thoughts.

Does stronger = more durable? Aren't most (if not all) real racing engines torn down and parts inspected more frequently than the typical 90,000 mile / 72 month belt replacement interval?

Give the pulley system a look. Does the narrowness appear to invite wandering of the belt?
In my application, I think it could. The crank sprocket has guides on the sides to keep the belt in place. The OEM belt fits within the guides perfectly while the Gates belt leaves a few mm of room for the belt to potentially wander from side to side. Whether it actually did or not I don't know, but I can see how it could have.

Reactions: NDL
Do you think that Dayco is better?

(I'm asking, not challenging)
I don't think so. I have never had a problem with their products, but from my experience with their serpentine belts, their quality is somewhat lacking compared to Gates. To me, they just feel cheaper and don't appear to be made as nicely.

What the flippin flip is a race timing belt? A factory timing belt should be able to handle any RPM, RPM transition, or load I can muster. It's not like a flywheel where I can shave some mass to help accelleration. If timing belts caused drag the CAFE motivations would make a slippery OE belt.

What the flippin flip is a race timing belt? A factory timing belt should be able to handle any RPM, RPM transition, or load I can muster. It's not like a flywheel where I can shave some mass to help accelleration. If timing belts caused drag the CAFE motivations would make a slippery OE belt.
It's supposed to be stronger than a normal belt and better able to handle the additional load created by aftermarket valvetrains and higher than stock RPM.

That's true but before I bought it I emailed Gates to ask if it is okay to use on a daily driver and they assured me that it's fine and that its longevity will be at least as good as the OEM belt.

Especially in a racing application where aggressive cams and stiff valve springs are often used and the engine is revved above the stock redline, I'd definitely want the belt to be made to the proper specs especially for the price those belts sell for.

I see no benefit to making the belt narrower than stock other than cost savings, which shouldn't be so much of a factor for such an expensive and supposedly high end belt that they don't even make it to the proper dimensions. I suppose it's also possible that Gates just didn't care to make it to the proper specs or had some type of manufacturing defect that their quality control didn't catch, but either way this situation isn't looking good for Gates IMO.
A narrower belt has less drag, which in the racing world all that really matters is squeaking out as much power as possible.
You bought a belt meant for a specific purpose, there is no problem with it...

A narrower belt has less drag, which in the racing world all that really matters is squeaking out as much power as possible.
You bought a belt meant for a specific purpose, there is no problem with it...
Good point, didn't think of that. Seems like yet another example of a racing product not being the best choice for street use.

I fail to see an issue, the part lasted the service interval, aftermarket parts sometimes do differ slightly from original, but if the function is the same, does it matter?

OEM Honda is made by Gates in accordance to Honda specs. Gates aftermarket is the original specs from Gates. Basically both function the same in fitment

Actually Aisin made the OEM water pump that came on this engine but the new one I bought from Honda a few weeks ago is made by Yamada.

I considered buying an aftermarket Aisin pump instead of OEM since they made the original, but I decided to go OEM for piece of mind. This thread is yet another example of a manufacturer making their aftermarket parts to lower standards than their OEM grade parts and I didn't want to take a chance on such a critical part.

Good idea, I will email Gates tomorrow and post their response (if they bother to respond).
Aisin really likes people to think they are OEM for the Honda V6 timing components. As you've illustrated, they made the water pumps for Honda in the 2000's, but that ship has sailed. Yamada has been making the water pump for Honda (in their J-series and others) for many years now.

Aisin really likes people to think they are OEM for the Honda V6 timing components. As you've illustrated, they made the water pumps for Honda in the 2000's, but that ship has sailed. Yamada has been making the water pump for Honda (in their J-series and others) for many years now.
Yup, the pump I recently bought from the Honda dealer was made by Yamada.

Back