Gates fan control module - opened/returned ?

I ordered this fan control module from Rockauto and it finally arrived today. The white Gates box has a sticker/label that wraps from the top to the side and "seals" the box closed. When I got it, that sticker had been cut already.... The part itself looks in mint condition except for a possible paint knick (that's tiny). There's no marks or scratches on the connectors and nothing on the mounting hole surfaces.

Make Rockauto replace it ?

Someone probably got the wrong one and sent it back. Surprised there weren't greasy fingerprints all over the box!

There should be no returns for refunds on electrical parts, only exchanges for defective products. That way you shouldn't get these opened mystery parts when you buy something. I would return it on their dime for an unopened one.

Last edited:
Does it work?

I ordered this fan control module from Rockauto and it finally arrived today. The white Gates box has a sticker/label that wraps from the top to the side and "seals" the box closed. When I got it, that sticker had been cut already.... The part itself looks in mint condition except for a possible paint knick (that's tiny). There's no marks or scratches on the connectors and nothing on the mounting hole surfaces.

Pictures for our review and criticism please!

Does it work?

Are all the correct part numbers and other identifiers on the part. What scares me with stuff like this is some bugger got a $5 fake on fleabay and switched it.
As Lubener rightly pointed out there should be no return on electrical stuff so there should be reason for this unless it was sold as a closeout or open box. Let them exchange it if you are not 100% comfortable with the part.

Does it work?
Don't know and I have zero interest in installing it to find out, let alone diagnosing it. It shouldn't be my problem.

Are all the correct part numbers and other identifiers on the part.
There are absolutely no markings, labels, etc on the part except for "#0720" on one of the connectors. It looks just like the images shown on Gates website though - it has no markings either. The images for the Beck-Arnley part are the same, no markings either. Granted, these are just pictures.

There should be no returns for refunds on electrical parts... I would return it on their dime for an unopened one.
Yeap, I agree. And by the same token, they shouldn't randomly open electrical parts which then creates this doubt that it's been used and returned.

I guess I'll get to found out how bad Rockauto's customer service is now....

Just make sure you answer the questions “correctly” and the return will be seamless. However, they recently stopped paying for freight on warranty returns.

Just make sure you answer the questions “correctly” and the return will be seamless. However, they recently stopped paying for freight on warranty returns.
I don't think Rock auto ever paid for warranty returns. Does the store in town pay for your gas to drive to the store and warranty a part?

I don't think Rock auto ever paid for warranty returns. Does the store in town pay for your gas to drive to the store and warranty a part?
I understand your logic and I am not surprised. But previously, if you were within the initial 30 day window, they would pay return shipping for a defective part.

Make Rockauto replace it ?
So when you go to a brick and mortar auto parts store and ask to see the part in the box...do you think the retailer sends that opened box back to their supplier? If the part is what you ordered and looks new...install it. You have the warranty coverage.

So when you go to a brick and mortar auto parts store and ask to see the part in the box
If it's a sealed box, I don't and wouldn't ask them to. Not sure you get it... It's an electrical part packaged by Gates in a taped/sealed-shut box and the "seal" was cut open. That's okay or normal to you ?

Apparently I answered correctly ;) Prepaid shipping label is already in hand.
I have had a few warranty returns lately. It has been 50/50, sometimes the system has given me a prepaid label. Other times it has not. When I contacted Rockauto to challenge the decision, they declined to provide a prepaid label.

I ended up getting an exchanged module and this one was unopened ;)

Just curious, what are the odds of this module being OEM ? I think Gates just buys and repackages them from someone else anyway as all of the "brands" I found look identical. I mean, for it to work, the (3) connectors have to match as well as the right "electronics", but just the heatsink layout makes me wonder why it's (almost) an exact match. There are add'l, larger protrusions along one edge on the new unit. These are heatsinks, yes ? The mounting hole on one side along with the slotted mounting on the other side is the same as well - except they're flipped.

IMG_5091.JPG

Back