Gasoline odor in cabin of 97 Buick Park Ave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow bitogers:

My friend has a 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, 3.8L V6 Supercharged. Lately its developed a troubling problem: a very, very strong gasoline odor will randomly come into the car's interior. Literally you'll just be driving along and all of a sudden the fumes are so overpowering you need to roll down the windows or pull over. This doesn't seem safe (or healthy!) and I'm not really sure where to even start looking for the problem. Some days it won't do it at all, and there don't seem to be any conditions that make it more likely to occur. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

things that you need to look for (if you are capable):

-do you regularly overfill your gastank to the brim? If so, these are the fumes from that overflowed to the EVAP charcoal canister.

-check to see if there's any overall fuel line/hose deterioriation.

-check to see if you have fuel leak from your pressurised fuel rail.

-if you recently have your fuel rail, injectors, top end (intake manifold,etc.) serviced, check for leaks around the o-rings, seals, etc.

-check the vacuum(some of them are now electromechanical) EVAP solenoid.

Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator (on the fuel rail near the injectors) and see if fuel comes out. If so, replace. I don't know that you'd get the occasional strong smell in the cabin, but it IS a common place for fuel to get to atmosphere.

I'm more suspicious of the evap system. When that strong smell happens, stop the car and pull off the gas cap. Is there a strong pressure built up in the tank?

I get that now and then with a loose cap although I smell it more outside the car than in. Evap. canister is the likely culprit and the age of the car is about right.

I have the same motor and same year.

Check the connection fuel connection on top of the blower, common for o-rings to leak a little. Check the nylon line from that area to behind the brake booster. This line is a POS, mine developed a pin hole 6 months ago and I replaced it with Fuel injection line or you can use a repair kit. Like other have mentioned check around the regulator and injectors also.
Is the car showing any codes?

Last edited:
The last two times I had a fuel smell, once was due to fuel injector O-rings leaking and the other was due to the fuel injectors themselves leaking externally from where the plastic meets the metal parts. This is a common problem for older (late 80s) Bosch Design II injectors(the ones that leaked were from 1988 and took about 16 years to start leaking). Although I doubt your Buick has that problem, I mention it just in case.

Look for discoloration on top of the blower shell. I had a leak that only showed up at idle one morning. It was the connection on top of the blower leaking.

Whoaaa,, I know of two Pontiac Grand Prix cars that caught on fire from a leaking fuel hose. I don't know if the Buick is from the same family of cars but the Pontiac were supercharged models.

GM had a recall I believe. You might want to suggest that the owners take this seriously and get it inspected and the cause of the odor isolated. As I menioned, I personally know of two cars that burned to the ground from a leaking fuel line. Follow the fuel lines in the engine compartment near the passenger side of the engine bay. Also, check where the ventilation system draws air into the cabin. You might find the leak near there.

If possibly let us know what is found on this car.

Update:

Just a few days after my first post the car started running very poorly and was taken to a local shop. They have replaced the plugs and wires to solve that problem. The gas odor problem has been traced to a faulty connection to the charcoal canister - that will be replaced tomorrow when the required part comes in. Hopefully this should take care of it, although once I can get the car in a garage I'll be sure to check that fuel line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back