Gas VS Hybrid VS Diesel. You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree redneck, I'd take a diesel anyday. Honda has a nice new diesel engine they are using in the Accord in Europe. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'm with you buster: holding my breath for the Honda diesel. Unfortunately, we'll be seeing Focus, Cobalt, and Altima diesels before we see Honda or Toyota diesels on these shores.

For me, depends on the following;

1. Cost
2. Maintanence (like you have to replace the timing belt on a diesel vs chain in Gas)
3. How dependable is the overall outfit?

If everything was the same for #s 2 and 3 and the cost was the same?

I'd pick Diesel in a sec. Then Gas, Hybrid due to more $$ down the road.

My 3 cents, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Did hybrid already, but sure would like to see a diesel-electic hybrid car. Works great on locomotives. Maybe Toyota will get one going with the 1.0 liter common-rail diesel they put in the Yaris in Europe.

yes a diesel hybrid would be great, talk about serious gas mileage, a regular TDI golf gets 55 mpg could you imagine if that thing was a hybrid? it would probably get 65-75mpg at least, plus with all the torque in the world, you could tow a boat with that little thing (well if it had bigger brakes)

Until quality diesel is found easily (not as stale as most in-town pumps), and hybrids have proven themselves, then I'd rather stick with gasoline for being able to fill up anywhere, anytime.

Exceptions to this would be if I were using the vehicle commercially, or had a long, dedicated commute to work, say, 1000-miles/wk. Any less, and gasoline gets the nod.

I'd like to see the numbers, as always. Mpg is still pretty irrelevant in vehicle ownership costs (about, or less than, 5% annual income for average American family).

I used the clicky feature!!

I would say that safety, reliability and convenience outweigh any perceived advantage of diesel or of a hybrid at this time, except in very high mileage/commercial use.

[ September 12, 2005, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I did gasoline cars for 26 cars and am on my first diesel. I got a VW Jetta Wagon TDI and couldn't have been happier.

What do I like about my car?

I have 650 miles on the tripmeter and still have 1/4 tank of fuel left.

I can climb any highway mountain pass in 5th gear without having to downshift. I can pass anyone I want anytime wihtout any trouble even up steep Colorado mountain passes.

10,000 mile oil change intervals.

B20 biodiesel which ain't much but 20% less dino fuel use each tankful can make a difference if more used biodiesel.

30,000 nearly trouble free miles.

Oh, did I mention that my highway commute always yields greater than 45 mpg and typically is 47 mpg.

I cant wait to see that newly redesigned VW Golf (TDI) thats coming this spring of 06. Looks like a nice car and the mileage is awesome. Just hope its built in germany and doesnt have any of the problems I have read about with VW

Can't wait? VW requires that U.S. customers wait TWO full years while they work out the bugs on the new Golf, which has been available in Europe since 2004. I'm not looking to turn this into a VW-hating thread (no, really), but that's simply unreasonable today. In the meanwhile, you can try the pricey Audi A3.

For my climate and desire for a little performance, as well as the lower initial cost; I'll take gas.
I could definitely put up with a TDI for the great highway mileage though.

Diesel all the way, with little maintenance, they last long and the low end torque makes you rev your engine less to get far better fuel economy.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I agree redneck, I'd take a diesel anyday. Honda has a nice new diesel engine they are using in the Accord in Europe. Thanks for the link.

Doesn't Honda source this European Accord diesel engine from GM in some sort of swapping deal where GM gets the Honda 3.5 V6 for use in a Saturn SUV?

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Doesn't Honda source this European Accord diesel engine from GM in some sort of swapping deal where GM gets the Honda 3.5 V6 for use in a Saturn SUV?

I believe they initially did but then thought the current design of diesels was essentially poor. They then started from a clean slate and created their own diesel and typical Honda fashion is a great engine according to European press.

I like 4 cylinder gas engines for small cars. Lower initial cost and still decent gas mileage make more sense to me in a small, lower cost vehicle. I think the diesel really starts to shine in mid-size and large vehicles that need more power and a boost in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back