gas station overfilled gas, now car shuts off and doesn't want to idle

It’s not that easy. Pretty messed up actually.
What are NJ and OR's reasons/excuses for full-service fuel pumping ? I'm guessing that "safety" was one reason at one time but Oregon sure can't use that excuse since certain times of days, it's allowed.

I filled my car at a shell station last week and it did this. Sounds like water or condensation. My car sputtered and died a couple of times but eventually smoothed out.

If they're like Sam's Club (never been to a Costco), they'd need (1) attendant for every (2) pumps because every time I've been to Sam's for gas, there's been lines of cars at every pump.
You're on point.. they are.

Costco, it is 1 attendant for every 4.. that way, they feel the attendant "works." 1 for every island of 4 pumps.

They will hook the car up, car in front will finish before far behind it, you can't win.

I know some people complain about it but I love that about driving through NJ. Especially in winter, I get to stay in my nice warm car out of the wind while the attendant puts gas in for me. I know a lot of people there that don't want that law to go away for that reason lol

LOL I remember people complaining they had to pump their own.
According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, all gas stations must "provide equal access to their customers with disabilities [by offering] refueling assistance upon the request of an individual with a disability."

What are NJ and OR's reasons/excuses for full-service fuel pumping ? I'm guessing that "safety" was one reason at one time but Oregon sure can't use that excuse since certain times of days, it's allowed.
I heard years and years ago that it was because they were the only two states that still offered leaded gas. The gas jockey was there to ensure no-one put leaded gas in a car that required unleaded.

I Haven't seen a Gas Station Attendent in years. Are you in the US ?
In New Jersey all gas stations are full serve only. There is no self serve option.

Edit: I see others have already mentioned this, but I don't see a way to delete.

I filled my car at a shell station last week and it did this. Sounds like water or condensation. My car sputtered and died a couple of times but eventually smoothed out.
+1
My Dad's Volvo was recently down to a cold snap, he only had about 3/8 of a tank.
Once he got it going again, he immediatly went to fill it and after filling the tank and removing the nozzle, the fill hole spewed excess gas out of it...something it'd never done before.

I informed him that this was probably caused by condensation in the upper areas of the tank freezing, and freezing the vent tubes that lead to the charcoal canister.
He said that after he started driving, the engine ran a little funny with the check engine light coming on. But after a while it smoothened out.
After driving around a while, the system was able to thaw the vents from the gasoline, and everything was fine again.

Anecdotally, New Jersey's attendant only fueling law was always said to be to protect those attendant's jobs. It was also said to be the number one job occupation in NJ. That was several decades ago, and I have no knowledge if either of those points were/are true.

The only station in my greater area that still has attendants is always the lowest priced. A Sunoco. They don't have a problem with you pumping fuel yourself if you so choose. It's also the only station left that is not a convenience store or similar.

when full, the dispenser system should just click (and stop) even if you keep pressing trigger.
55a7c998f8fcb3f19f1c347d73297954.jpg

I remember a story that long ago when all stations had attendants that someone in Jersey opened a self serve station and under cut the other stations prices.
Somehow the other station owners got the law passed that there would be no self service, thats the best i can remember.

I know some people complain about it but I love that about driving through NJ. Especially in winter, I get to stay in my nice warm car out of the wind while the attendant puts gas in for me. I know a lot of people there that don't want that law to go away for that reason lol
New Jersey is a pretty rainy state, when I lived there as a teen if it was really raining hard I would go to a station with no canopy just to make the guy come out into the rain.

Back