Gas stabilizer for long term outdoor storage

Is STA-BIL ok for this purpose or is there another one that is better? There's this clear blue stuff that's at Northern tool. Is it any good? This is for gas that is already in the gas tank of my car. I'll be keeping it at my mechanics lot for around 6 months.

I use Stabil, and 1 oz tcw 3 in 5 gallons for the last tank of ope engines. Keeps the floats and needle seats free.

I think 6 months you will be fine with just stabil. Unless you are pulling the fuel tank , i'd fill it up , less air= less moisture in the tank.

Hey, the blue stabil stuff is quite nice, I have a jug of gas that had it and I mixed it accordingly and this ethanol gas is 4 years old now, still works great. I use ethanol fuel mixed with stabil in my pressure washer and lawnmower and I dont empty it out during the winter time, whenever I start it up in spring like now it starts in 2 to 3 pulls.

The stuff is expensive, you can mix naptha with 2 stroke oil and get the same result, this is another test I have done and works.

Is STA-BIL ok for this purpose or is there another one that is better? There's this clear blue stuff that's at Northern tool. Is it any good? This is for gas that is already in the gas tank of my car. I'll be keeping it at my mechanics lot for around 6 months.
I often and currently using treated gas with Stabil that is ten months old. I never had any problems.

Another satisfied Stabil user. I dose it a little heavier than the bottle calls for but it works. I have a chainsaw that had 3+ year old fuel in it treated with Stabil and it started right up.

One review I read says that these stabilizers are worthless. Sorry that I can't give specifics, but the final analysis said that they did nothing to preserve fuel quality.
Use the stuff if it makes you feel better, but don't expect miracles. That said, 6 months is not a long time and you'll be fine.

im currently storing gas for my generator in sealed 5 gallon jugs treated with stabil storage and marvel mystery oil. i thought of using tcw3 next time but i dont know much aboit it. i just figured a light oil would help with this ethanol.

how long do yoi guys think i should keep it before dunping it in the cars?

Another satisfied Stabil user. I dose it a little heavier than the bottle calls for but it works. I have a chainsaw that had 3+ year old fuel in it treated with Stabil and it started right up.
I also mix with a tad more Stabil than the bottle states and have never had any issues.

Not sure what you are needing to protect. On my push lawnmower I did nothing and it'd go 5 years or more. On the older B&S motors something would go, but was either coil or the diaphragm gasket. But not much later the deck would go too.

I've noticed that my more-new OHV motors seem more sensitive to old gas. I have to wonder if I will need to start cycling fuel through them more often as a result. Maybe just run low at end of season, then top off after a couple months with a good long idle, so as to run fresh fuel through.

On my chainsaw and weedwacker though I gave in and just run the special 2 stroke fuel. It's expensive but I use so little that it's not expensive in the end. YMMV if you're going through gallons a week.

im currently storing gas for my generator in sealed 5 gallon jugs treated with stabil storage and marvel mystery oil. i thought of using tcw3 next time but i dont know much aboit it. i just figured a light oil would help with this ethanol.

how long do yoi guys think i should keep it before dunping it in the cars?
How sealed is it? If it's really and truly sealed then I'd think it'd last just fine. It's the evaporating of lighter compounds, plus the absorption of water from the air, that tends to do gas in. Personally I'm not fan of dumping oil into the gas tank of my cars, it may well be fine but I don't see the purpose. If really worried, I'd go 6 months and dump into the cars, but minus the treatments.

I use 1 oz of blue Stabil in a 5 gal can of ethanol free fuel. Haven't had any fuel issues in a long time. Equipment stored for 6 months over the winter start right up in the spring.

Back