Gas pump wouldn't fill my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried filling up my Thunderbird this morning. I couldn't get the pump to put in more than 11 out of 22 gallons, it just kept cutting off like it was full. Any suggestions or experience with this would help.

I dropped the tank last year and cleaned it out and I also out new gaskets on. I haven't driven it much since.

Gas tank isnt venting for some reason .. sometimes wasps or spiders make a home.

Not sure what year you have, could be a bad charcoal canister or a clogged line in the evap system. Can honestly just be that pump, nozzle or gasoline; next time you fill up try another station and let us know.

Do you use the same station? I had a car that had the same issue, but only at one station. I think the pump was putting out too high volume causing the tank to over pressurize and trip the pump shut off.

+1 on trying another station. If it happens again check out the venting system for your tank, like others have mentioned.

It's a 1988 with 55,000 miles. Its the same Exxon I always use. I'll try another location and check back.

Also I changed the pump twice when I dropped the fuel tank, once before I cleaned it and chewed it up (I didn't realize it was that dirty) and once after.

Last edited:
The in town truck stop that I use for gasoline dropped Shell and went to ??? brand with all new pumps. Couldn't get one of about sixteen pumps to fill my tank automatically. Had to stand there and nurse the tank full. Bif PITA. They got so many complaints they fixed the nozzles.

I have and have owned several 82-87 t-birds/cougars and have always had issues filling up those cars. I always would go to a pump where the grade was downhill and I was able to fill them. Certain pumps would work better too. I still have to do that with my 87 cougar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back