Gas Prices vs Day of Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Are there any trends that show that gas prices are more expensive on certain days during the week?

A co worker told me that certain days of the week are more expensive.

I haven't noticed it and I was wondering in anyone knew if this is true and if so which days?

For reference I am in the SF bay area.

Actually I wonder if Gas Buddy has a feature where you could see a graph of gas prices over time. I figure they have all the data and could easily display it?

I have read in a couple different places that gas prices will tend to rise during the week, peaking out on Friday/Saturday, presumably to take advantage of the increased travel that weekends bring, and once Monday rolls around, the prices will be back down again. I think this is only talking about a few cents at most, and it's certainly excluding edge cases like travel holidays.

But from what I gathered from these articles, buying your gas at the beginning of the week versus the end of it (and especially the weekend) can save you a couple cents per gallon usually.

I have read in a couple different places that gas prices will tend to rise during the week, peaking out on Friday/Saturday, presumably to take advantage of the increased travel that weekends bring, and once Monday rolls around, the prices will be back down again.
Not seen that to be the case around here.

In my neck of the woods, it seems like Speedway runs the price changes, and usually on Thursday, every station in their app will have exactly the same price. Over the next couple of days the Speedways will adjust their prices using whatever voodoo they do to figure them out.

Being that gas prices are greatly tied to the price of oil, which can fluctuate both ways any day of the week, I would not think there would be any consistent long-term pattern. Sort of like the stock market; it used to be said that October is always bad for stocks, but the October that just ended saw the market up 7%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back