Gas,oil &MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought gas in containers already treated with MMO.
I need to get the two stroke snow tosser ready.
Would it be ok to add two stroke oil in the MMO treated gas?
Should that become standard(MMO cures all?)practice?
Thanks,
Rich

A lot will depend on how much MMO you've added, but yes you could mix the approprate blend of 2 cycle mix and add MMO and it will work in your snowblower.

I dunno why you think you need MMO, though. Why not buy a better 2 cycle oil, if you have such little faith in what you're using?

Originally Posted By: RichR
I need to get the two stroke snow tosser ready.
Would it be ok to add two stroke oil in the MMO treated gas?
Should that become standard(MMO cures all?)practice?
Thanks,
Rich

I do it all the time, and find the carb stays cleaner longer. With me it is sort of a habit though.

The MMO is mainly solvents and a little oil. I can recommend Amsoil Saber 2-stroke as the very best 2-stoke oil I have ever used. The next best would be the MAG3, TC-W3 oil sold at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I do it all the time, and find the carb stays cleaner longer. With me it is sort of a habit though.

Same here, Weed Whacker, Generator, both 2-stroke 49cc Scooters, you name it.
I simply add 1 oz per gallon of gas to the gas can and good to go. Absolutely
no problems over the years - even when I forgot to winterize.

af0h - Rob

I run numerous two cycle engines. From old 1970s Yamaha RDs to modern OPE. I run CTC two stroke oil in all of it with no additives other than a shot of SeaFoam once or twice a year. Most of the engines ran perfectly fine without the SeaFoam. I had a couple that showed improved performance after a dose of SeaFoam. Probably due to lifting gum from the carb that had developed after sitting unused for several years.

If you use a good quality two cycle oil and an occasional splash of SeaFoam, there's no need for regularly mixing expensive additives with the fuel.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
CTC oil? Is that Canadian Tire oil or another brand?

Also, how much Sea Foam do you use with your gas/oil mix when you use it?

That's correct. CTC off the shelf $15.00/gallon. Been using it for twenty years or more. The snowmobile crowd up here in Canada love it. They say it's low ash emission help keep the engine nice and clean.

If I'm doing an engine clean on a well running engine, I'll put four ounces in a gallon of fuel every other year or so. For storage purposes, I'll use one oz. per gallon of fuel.

I know that the preponderance of fuel additives out there are snake oil. I've tried numerous products over the years and found that the only thing they removed was money from my wallet. SeaFoam is the first product that I've used that I could visibly see results and improved engine performance. That was on a couple of old two stroke engines that had not been used for a while (because they were running poorly to begin with). I was actually surprised to see that the SeaFoam had a positive effect on them!

The secret to keeping any occasional use engine running right is fuel management. Clean, water free fuel to begin with, drained or stabilized for off season storage and running the carb dry will go a very long way to keep an engine running right.

I use SeaFoam more in two strokes just to help keep carbon build up down, particularly on the older engines that run more oil in the mix. I've torn down some two stroke engines that had the piston rings locked solidly in the groove and rendered virtually useless. One was on an old vintage Yamaha RD400 that I recently restored. The other was on an old 3.5 h.p. outboard motor that spent it's life trolling. Not sure how effective it will be keeping the rings free but I have seen SeaFoam lift carbon off the top of the piston in a relatively short period of time.

The most effective way to use use SeaFoam for cleaning the engine is to fire up the engine and spray it directly into the carb causing the engine to stall. I like to spray it until the engine begins to falter, slow down the spray for a few seconds, keeping the engine barely running, allow the engine to pick up speed then pour the SeaFoam to it until it stalls. Leave it over night then fire it up the next day. Repeat as required. When doing this on multi cylinder two cycle engines, it's imperative to feed SeaFoam through all carbs at the same time. Two strokes multis don't share an open crank case. Each cylinder/piston has it's own portion of the crank separated from the next by a labyrinth seal. So, if using one spray can of SeaFoam, you'll need to rig up a multiplier to feed the carbs.

Originally Posted By: RichR
Rich

+1 I premix fuel in a 15 gallon tank and use MMO (4oz/10 gallons) OR seafoam (1 oz per gallon) for the solvents, upper cyl lube and stabilization. I then mix my 2 cylce oil (Stihl Ultra at 50:1) 3 gallons at a time. The MMO is to treat the gas, NOT to lube the cyl. I have had little or no carbon deposits on the piston, cyl walls or exhast ports on my two cycle equipment. No gum or carbon on 4 cycle stuff as well. Not sure that is proof it does something, but at least it does no harm
21.gif
I believe it helps keep fuel delivery and intake clean, and that is enough in my reality
01.gif

I am not convinced of it's value as an oil additive (don't hate me) other than mild cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cmarti

I am not convinced of it's value as an oil additive (don't hate me) other than mild cleaning.

I don't hate anyone, especially this time of the year. Glad the MMO is working for you in the gas. If you ever have a lifter ticking or suspect varnish or sludge in an engine give it a shot. I think you'll be happy. As far as UOA's go, the few I've seen here on BITOG with the addition of MMO were pretty good. That's if you believe in UOA's for monitoring engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti

I don't hate anyone, especially this time of the year. Glad the MMO is working for you in the gas. If you ever have a lifter ticking or suspect varnish or sludge in an engine give it a shot. I think you'll be happy. As far as UOA's go, the few I've seen here on BITOG with the addition of MMO were pretty good. That's if you believe in UOA's for monitoring engine wear.

I am not against it, just have no experience with it as a oil additive. I will give it a shot. My Kid has an old Dodge we have experimented with. We had good luck on an oil consumption issue with a Seafoam 500 mile flush and Valvoline High Mileage in a heavier grade. The oil consumption is less each flush and change. I may try the MMO 1000K before the next change.

I generally add 1 oz of Molabrew (3 parts FP60 + 1 part Scheaffer's neutra) per gallon of gasoline for both straight gasoline or 50:1 two cycle oil/gas mixtures. I use Stihl or Toro 2 cycle oil whatever happens to be handy. I've used gasoline that was stored for several years without any problems. Looks, smells and burns just as fresh as the day it was mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back