Gas milage with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering if the somewhat lower gas milages reported here with GC green may be due to the lower moly content as compaired to other synthetic oils. I guess what I am asking is, can an oil with the same operating viscosity have lower resistance or drag than another oil. Ie: can an oil with moly be more slipery (sp) than one without?

So far in two weeks have accumulated 41 bottles of GC green.

Tom
Cape Cod

I just changed out my Mobil 1 5w30 in my 96 Civic, was getting 36 MPG pretty consistently, I am now down to 34 MPG on the last tank that was run (GC 0w30) same driving conditions.

It's a small trade off for the protection I suppose.

I had a small dip in gas mileage but after 1000 miles it came back to normal...

frankly for my car, i think it's gasoline that makes a bigger difference. A good tank of 76 will give me 33mpg and a tank of Arco will dip me down to about 28mpg!

On all of the vehicles I've switched to GC I've never noticed a drop in MPG. My wife's car got the exact same mileage with Mobil 1 and Royal Purple that it gets now with GC.

quote:

On all of the vehicles I've switched to GC I've never noticed a drop in MPG. My wife's car got the exact same mileage with Mobil 1 and Royal Purple that it gets now with GC.

I find that hard to believe. (I do believe you though Pat
grin.gif
). GC is an awesome oil. Best 0w-30 you can find, but it made my car very sluggish. Maybe bc it's so new. As an engine ages, and wears eventually you need to jump up a grade.

Honda=low torque engine.
I think changes in oil viscosity would have the most pronounced effect on that type of the motors.

My mileage has been the basicaly the same from factory fill, initial change with SL Penzoil 5w-30, Dealer Drive Clean 10w-40 (slight dip initialy, but returned to normal), GC, Royal Purple 10w-30, and the current SL Mobil 1 0w-30 (slight increase, but probably due to driving style).

Thanks for all the replys. Has there been any evidence that the addition of moly or lack of makes an oil of the same weight more or less slippery? There does seem to the concensious that GC does seem to lower milage a bit. True, it is on the thick side for a 30 WT oil, but I guess my question is could this be perhaps due to the lower amount of moly?
Tom
Cape Cod

On a 97 Sat, GC was pretty much like the 0W40 Mobil 1 which was pretty much like the 5W30 dinos.
Running 5W40 Shell Rotella this summer and maybe a bit lower, hard to tell with the effect of A/C on vs off in winter?

Found more GC
smile.gif
so will run again this fall / winter.
Hint: Hispanics apparently don't buy GC so that's the Autozone to visit.

My guess is that a car used for short trips would see a larger drop in MPG for GC, it is some pretty thick stuff when cold.

> My guess is that a car used for short trips
> would see a larger drop in MPG for GC, it is
> some pretty thick stuff when cold.

GC is pretty thick stuff when cold? What must you think of 5W, 10W, 15W or 20W oil?

I have yet to see -XXW oil yet.

:)

Later,

Rich

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

My car did not see a drop off in mileage either when I changed over to GC.

I think he means at inhabitable temps
grin.gif
. In which case he was correct. The 0w rating is achieved at -35C and -40C
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RichD:
> My guess is that a car used for short trips
> would see a larger drop in MPG for GC, it is
> some pretty thick stuff when cold.

GC is pretty thick stuff when cold? What must you think of 5W, 10W, 15W or 20W oil?

I have yet to see -XXW oil yet.

:)

Later,

Rich

I tested GC against Citgo 5w30 at 10F. The GC was much thicker at 10F, was not even close!

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I think he means at inhabitable temps
grin.gif
. In which case he was correct. The 0w rating is achieved at -35C and -40C
shocked.gif

Accurate!

My two GM 3.1L and 3.4L V6's did NOT see a drop in MPG when I switched from Mobil 1 5w-30 to GC. In fact with my 3.1L, which is driven most on the highway, the mileage has actually gone up slightly.

As always, YMMV.

>> I tested GC against Citgo 5w30 at 10F. The GC was much thicker at 10F, was not even close!

How did you test it?

Regards,

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back