Gas milage with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I've given up on worrying about mileage changes on GC. Any variations that I've seen have been too small to matter. Both of our vehicles (a Sequoia and a G35 Sedan) get absymal mileage, and an mpg or two one way or the other isn't going to help me much.

2) About a year ago, when I was still deep in the initial throes of GC fascination, I tossed a couple different quarts of oil into the deep freeze, including one of GC. The only one that got gruesomely thick was the Havoline SAE 30 that I had on hand for the then-new generator. The GC, like all the others, got thicker, but not alarmingly so, at least not to me. OTOH, I don't live in a climate in which I worry much about cold starts ever. Patman, another GC user, would seem to be much more qualified to speak on that. Pat, any startup issues you've noted?

quote:

Hint: Hispanics apparently don't buy GC so that's the Autozone to visit.

funny you should mention that... I won't use the the term "hispanic" or "african-american" for this...(because, well, generalizing is not fair)

but

in the least economically advantaged parts of town- I have found the largest stocks of GC.

17 quarts on the shelf in the place where I was the only white-boy in the store. Though- The purchase of 17 quarts of expensive exotic "0w30" oil definetally got the attention of those around me, made for some interesting conversations. Everybody always wants to know "what are you going to do with all that goofy oil?"

I've never had any startup issues with GC at all ekpolk. Even when it's below 0F outside and I start up my Corvette first thing in the morning it sounds just fine, no piston slap or any strange sounds. My wife's Civic is the same. This oil works beautifully in both of these engines.

quote:

Originally posted by RichD:
>> I tested GC against Citgo 5w30 at 10F. The GC was much thicker at 10F, was not even close!

How did you test it?

Regards,

Rich

I changed the oil in 2 cars in 10F temps. One got GC and one got Citgo 5w30. The Citgo 5w30 poured much easier then the GC. Citgo 5w30 was like water and GC was like maple syrup.

Ugly, I don't doubt your observations whatsoever. I'm chalking this one up to not drawing a direct parallel between the CCS spec and observed fluidity.

Best 0w-30 you can find: I have been waiting for someone else to come out and admit it. With Amsoil 0/30 M1 0/30 and many more the GREEN one gets the nod.If someone finds a excuse to sell it they'll be back cause the UOA don't lie and we live for low wear numbers that GC produces.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Honda=low torque engine.
I think changes in oil viscosity would have the most pronounced effect on that type of the motors.

But Patman's wife's car is a Honda Civic and he has noted that he hasnt noted
wink.gif
any change in fuel economy.

My car was just sluggish with that oil, period. I really like GC, and would use it over any other 0w-30, but it's just not a good fit for my car. I have an 05 Accord, so it's brand new and tight.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
My car was just sluggish with that oil, period. I really like GC, and would use it over any other 0w-30, but it's just not a good fit for my car. I have an 05 Accord, so it's brand new and tight.

I have put only 100 km on my 05 Vibe (1ZZ FE 4 cylinder engine) since replacing M1 5W-30 with GC. But in that brief time I have not experienced any 'sluggishness'. It may be quieter when idling...not sure.

My vehicle lacks digital fuel gauge and mileage computer.

My gut feeling as owner is GC soon after the oil change cause a positive (+) spike in Gas mileage.

However over a 2,000 miles that spike becomes (-) by a few.

Could this at all be related to viscosity thickening?

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Could this at all be related to viscosity thickening?

..naw, I'm thinking it is more probably related to hyperspatial disconfusement...but, then, I'm only an amateur scientist.

I tracked fuel mileage in my '94 suzuki swift gt over 60K miles (8 months!!) last year across a consistent route, conditions, and the same gas stations, and found that GC did have a .5-1.2 drop in mpg vs Amsoil 5w-30 and RedLine 5w-30.

I was running RedLine when the timing belt snapped and tagged a valve :p hehe

-JW

I reported an initial 1 mpg drop in economy in my 3.3L Oldsmobile vs. Mobil 1.

Now, after 2900 miles, the mileage has returned to normal, and the averages are the same as Mobil 1, around 29.5 mpg on average.

I immediately noted less valvetrain noise, and considerably less engine noise with the GC, but there was a measurable drop in mileage for the first 2500 miles.

Yesterday was a great day. Finally after months of AutoRx flush and rinse I was able to, at last, add my Green CG. I will be able to get a good sense of the operation and milage in a few days as I will be driving my 60 plus route I have used to get my average milage thus far. Interesting, while draining my old and filling with the green stuff through the heavy rain I thought I may of heard....no it must have been my imagination....

Tom
Cape Cod

No change in MPG for '90 Toyoto 4x4. V6. Maybe wishful thinking... but engines seems to be running smoother then M1 0w40.

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
No change in MPG for '90 Toyoto 4x4. V6. Maybe wishful thinking... but engines seems to be running smoother then M1 0w40.

'96 Audi S6 2.2 Turbo Q. No change so far. Have a small oil leak and Castrol SLX Longtec has more oily smell than M1 0W-40
smile.gif

Well I finally had a chance to do a run with my newly added Green stuff. As far as I can tell, over the same course, the milage with the GC green is the same as the mobil 1 I had been using. I have accumulated about 46 Qts so I am happy with the prelim. results.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back