Gas-engine car with best mpg in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a 96' Honda civic HX once and loved it. It was rated EPA 44 MPG highway. That car once got 49 MPG on a road trip, altough I drove very easy and @55 mph to get it. It never got less then 34 MPG in the city even in the cold winter. The funny thing is that the HX has more power and gets better fuel economy then the base civic. I thought I had to get rid of it because it had high miles in my mind (144k) when I sold it to a friend. He has well over 200k on it now with I think only a new starter and a timing belt/water pump replacement. Good luck finding a new HX as the dealers dont order them and act dumb as to the model exisiting. In fact, I contacted Honda about this several months ago and there was only one 5 speed HX new at a dealer in the state of ohio at the time. The reason dealers dont have them is because you cant get factory air on it, its dealer added, and that drives the price over the value pack model with its standard factory AC. I suspect the weight of factory AC would give the car not 44 EPA highway and is the reason Honda wont put it on the car factory.

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
I suspect the weight of factory AC would give the car not 44 EPA highway and is the reason Honda wont put it on the car factory.

I doubt that a factory AC weighs over 40 lbs.

All civics have a front sway bar, but the EX and the LX adds a rear sway bar. The Honda civics except for the si model are made here in the USA in East Liberty, Ohio. The engines are also cast and made in Ohio as most Ohio built Hondas have been for years. I would rather save about $6 or 7k and get the HX over a Toyota prius if I were in the market, as 99% of the buyers will never recoup the difference between the two. I have a friend who works at the Marysville accord plant and makes $24 per hour being a line worker.

quote:

All civics have a front sway bar, but the EX and the LX adds a rear sway bar. The Honda civics except for the si model are made here in the USA in East Liberty, Ohio. The engines are also cast and made in Ohio as most Ohio built Hondas have been for years. I would rather save about $6 or 7k and get the HX over a Toyota prius if I were in the market, as 99% of the buyers will never recoup the difference between the two. I have a friend who works at the Marysville accord plant and makes $24 per hour being a line worker.

Civic Hybrid is imported from Japan.

I'm getting a real 40-44 mpg with my 2005 Corolla. This is over 23k miles in 9 months.

Taking it for it's first trip this next week.. It will be loaded up...

Can wait to see what a load does to the MPG.. Plus its going to be in the 100s all the time..

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

I suspect the weight of factory AC would give the car not 44 EPA highway and is the reason Honda wont put it on the car factory.

I doubt that a factory AC weighs over 40 lbs.

Besides weight is not much of a factor in highway mpg and really not a factor in top speed for example.
It's probably just a cost thing. The HX doesn't even have sway bars (more cost saving). That engine technology probably adds a lot of cost, they needed to make the price comparable.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Which gas-powered, non-hybrid, car(s) available in the USA get the highest gas mileage?

If new look at this list for LB or R versions of vehicles>>>> Best MPG 2005

You just have to filter out diesel/hybrids.

I have used this site for mpg ratings: Fed Gov site

If you meant available and made in the U.S., I personally was looking at the Pontiac Vibe as my next car.

am averaging 43-45mpg every day and 48mpg on long runs with a 98 Suzuki Swift. Had a 98 3cyl Metro(same car with 24 less hp-55hp, Swift has 79hp)and it did not get the mileage that the older Metro's used to get- was only averaging 43-45mpg-the same as I am getting with the 79HP Swift which is great being it can get out of it's own way-the 98 3cyl was a little lacking. What really is even greater, is that it's paid for along with the extra 01 Swift I am saving for later. If I had to buy something new it would probaby be a Toyota Echo or a Corolla-I say Echo being they can be had for 10 to 11thou. Just wish they offered the Canadian model of it here in the states, I do not like the trunk version offered here. I think the hatchback model in Canada looks better.

gudmund - did your older Metro have a/c? Mine didn't. It was a base model Metro XFI - 93 model. What a great little car! I could regularly get 50 mpg. (Once on a trip to Birmingham I got 60 mpg - no kidding). I loaned it to a "friend" and never saw him nor the car again.

quote:

Originally posted by GreeCguy:
gudmund - did your older Metro have a/c? Mine didn't. It was a base model Metro XFI - 93 model. What a great little car! I could regularly get 50 mpg. (Once on a trip to Birmingham I got 60 mpg - no kidding). I loaned it to a "friend" and never saw him nor the car again.

Sure would hate to read of how your enemies treat thee.

None of the 7 Metro/Swifts I have had have since 87 ever had air. In fact since I bought my first car at 13 in 1967, I have NEVER owned one with air!! I live in the Pacific Northwest where you may use it 5 or 6 days a year.(455a/c 4 windows down and 55mph---plus being I grow up in a gas station and had to work on cars I always hated working on something with air and swore I would never own one---plus the though of HP loss,back in those day I only though of HP and drag racing. This is not to say that in later years sometimes I have wished I had it!! getting older now and after seeing how the units have been down sized over the years I someday may have something with it. Never say never!

did drive from here to Casper, Wy and back in 94(and yes I could of used A/C than!!) 2800miles total on just over 51gal of gas==just shy of 55mpg overall average in a 92 Geo XFI Metro(Butte,Mont. I-90 about 40mph max going up hill, you call it knowing your limitations and just ignoring everybody else passing you!! just sit back, relax and enjoy knowing you are getting 55mpg!!) At 108,000thou two days after Christmas 94 that 92 died a violent death after pole vaulting over a fallen tree at 50+mph in a wind storm. Was told by the driver coming down the hill who saw the tree fall that I got over 10feet of air, don't know it that was true but I do know that I landed 57ft down the road nosed in to the asfault than went sideways and shot 30some more feet into the brush. Yes it was totaled being it tryed to bend in half. Got a chipped tooth and a brusied chest from the seatbelt after walking away from it. What a sad loss of a mighty fine cheap car!! Have had 95 and newer ones since which are built much better and heavier but have not seen anymore 50+mpg out of any of them --get close to 50 off and on but for the most part it's 43 to 45 average not mattering whether is is a 3cyl or a 4cyl so being I get the same mpg along with 24more HP(79HP) it's the 4cyl all the way!!!!!!(98 or newer 4cyl's with the 4v per cyl and port fuel injection-the 96 had 70HP with 2v and trottle body injection, it was a good one and is still running with over 240++thou on it but the 98 runs so much sweeter and gets the same mileage!!)

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
two days after Christmas 94 that 92 died a violent death after pole vaulting over a fallen tree at 50+mph in a wind storm. Was told by the driver coming down the hill who saw the tree fall that I got over 10feet of air

I have pictured my vehicle being taken out this way...

Not much one can do about that, re: defensive driving.

Glad you walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back