gas & diesel now only 10 cents apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gas prices here in NYC seem to finally be trending downwards too. $3.89 this morning.

.....I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

So this means Diesel is under $4 a gallon? People who bought those TDI VW's with a 1k fuel card must be pretty damm happy.

For the last couple of months around here, diesel has actually been cheaper than the low grade unleaded! I cant remember how long it has been since I have seen that.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The price of diesel fuel in NY seems to have come down and its now only 10 cents above gas.

Out here, diesel is about 40 cents above regular.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The price of diesel fuel in NY seems to have come down and its now only 10 cents above gas. I do not think I have seen this in awhile.

Of course I fill up in MA if I am there as I live on the border.

Diesel remains at about 40 to 50 cents more a gallon in this area. Also note that diesel in Minnesota is now mandated to be B10 (soybean oil) from April to September.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Diesel remains at about 40 to 50 cents more a gallon in this area.

My area, too. The difference in price between diesel and regular gas has recently been the most significant I remember seeing.

I really like the idea of a diesel, but the increased fuel cost and increased purchase cost make them a tough sell in my area.

Before the low sulfur mandate in 2007ish, I thought Diesel was always cheaper than Gasohol, since it required less refining.

Last edited:
Quote:

I thought Diesel was always cheaper than Gasohol, since it required less refining.

Diesel is virtually the same as #2 heating oil which is used quite a bit more in the NE than the Midwest. It is "on par" now, but that will disappear as winter hits. Diesel is often 75c higher than gas in the winter. "Demand" impacts price in addition to "how much effort it takes to make"

While out at lunch today I noticed that there's a pretty big spread in price between gas and diesel in my area.

Regular gas at a busy local Conoco station is $3.20
Diesel at the same station is $3.79

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Before the low sulfur mandate in 2007ish, I thought Diesel was always cheaper than Gasohol, since it required less refining.

less refining? Sort of. Yes, the need for hydrogen to drive the HDS desulfurization reactors for ULSD has caused an increase in pricing...

lots of other factors too. Some arbitrary... Shipping requirements stay the same, no need for home heating, now gasoline demand for family vacation may be driving the gas price as compared to diesel.

Diesel is priced somewhere aroung RUG to midgrade right now by me.

Around $.50 more here. It doesn't help the diesel prices in the US that we're exporting huge amounts of diesel. Europe is ahead of the game with diesel vehicles and we're just left with higher prices.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Around $.50 more here. It doesn't help the diesel prices in the US that we're exporting huge amounts of diesel. Europe is ahead of the game with diesel vehicles and we're just left with higher prices.

Gas and diesel are taxed at different rates. This is why diesel on avg is always slightly higher than gas.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: hatt

Gas and diesel are taxed at different rates. This is why diesel on avg is always slightly higher than gas.
Diesel has a little higher tax. Not $.50. Taxes are certainly not enough to explain why diesel has historically always been cheaper and now it's almost always higher.

Never could figure out why diesel, which is far less refined than gasoline, is the more expensive of the two...

My theory was more competition (everybody sells gas, not necessarily diesel) tends to lower prices for gas. Weird thing around here is the price spread for diesel-from $3.55 to $4-and KY, which has a LOWER fuel tax, has the HIGHEST diesel prices!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back