Gas <$3.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
BJ's has it for 2.99 and there are cars in lines out to the road. They have 10 pumps and there are lines. Meanwhile across the road is a BP station for 3.09, with no cars. Do the math, on waiting a half hour for gas to get 15 gallon, most times less. Its a psychological thing at this point.

To save .10/gallon, $1.50 a tank? Not worth the wait. I hate waiting in lines at the best of times, i.e., indoors in the air conditioning. Outdoors in hot or cold weather, no way.

ETA: Saw $2.81 at my favorite convenience store this morning.

It gets even better.
There was a front page article in today's WSJ about the glut of crude.
Oil prices are down 20% since June, closing under 82 dollars/bbl Tuesday. OPEC's defacto boss, Saudi Arabia, is focused on market share and is unwilling to cut production to maintain prices.
US production continues strong and is forecast to increase 20% over the next year.
Countries like Rusia and Venezuela are already feeling the pinch.
I know that we're all sad for both of them.
This may be the first real and sustained glut of oil that we've seen since the late nineties.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

28b4a6d.jpg

source: http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

As are any heavily indebted domestic (US) producers.

The weak will be destroyed by this, the strong will get stronger.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

As are any heavily indebted domestic (US) producers.

The weak will be destroyed by this, the strong will get stronger.

You're right and this is already happening.
Those producers who leveraged their operations to the hilt, betting on oil staying around $100/bbl are now feeling real pain.
If oil gets below $70/bbl, many of the current fracking operations will have to be suspended and exploration will come to a halt.
There's also evidence to indictate that a typical enhanced recovery oil well will see a more rapid decline in production than would a conventional well, so unless exploration continues, the boom in US production may prove to be very short-lived.

On Saturday, regular was at 2.71 at the busy convenience store I've been using -- .14 cheaper/gallon than at the Walmart near me.

Premium was 3.12, .24 less than at the WM. Even with driving ~16 miles there and back, I saved a good 2.00 over using WM, and it was a pleasant highway run.

A few Costcos around where I live are down to $2.98/gallon for regular unleaded. Some further away are as low as $2.84, although the spread with premium (91) is higher. And this is California with some of the highest gas prices in the lower 48.

We did a ~500 mile weekend trip, an easy one tank journey with the '12 Accord, and I filled it close to home yesterday for $2.71. 15 gallons for 504 miles mostly using the cruise at around 75 mph. Not bad at all.
Prices eight or so miles south of us are now as low as $2.63.
Pump prices seem still to be declining.
Even nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back