Garmin Nuvi installing new firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GPS (2 or 3 years old) displayed a msg that it was installing new firmware and % install. Took a minute or so then it was finished. This Garmin has never been connected to a PC, so where did the firmware come from? Is the US gov. beaming down GPS firmware from the satellites? Its been in my car for the last 2 or 3 years doing its thing when I turn on the key.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My GPS (2 or 3 years old) displayed a msg that it was installing new firmware and % install. Took a minute or so then it was finished. This Garmin has never been connected to a PC, so where did the firmware come from? Is the US gov. beaming down GPS firmware from the satellites? Its been in my car for the last 2 or 3 years doing its thing when I turn on the key.

Glitch in the firmware on the machine most likely. Now might be the time to go through with the small hassle of hooking it up to update the firmware. You don't need a special cable from Garmin. Any USB cable with a "mini-a" connection will work (cameras and non-iPod MP3 players commonly use them).

Garmin releases at least 1 firmware update per year for most of their models. Most of the time the firmware either enhances responsiveness of the unit or modifies (for the better) some of the features.

Unless you are having an issue, I'd hold off on firmware updates. Many times they create new problems, in my experience with Garmin units.

Since the firmware and the maps are distinct, there is really no need to update the firmware unless you have a specific problem and the firmware explicitly has fixed it. Updating maps are a different but usually they cost you money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back