Garmin Autonomí: General Aviation Autoland System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Designed for pilot incapacitation in General Aviation airplanes. Airplane will find the nearest suitable airport, avoid weather and terrain, set up for an instrument approach, "talk" to ATC, set flaps and landing gear, land, and shut down the engine(s) on the runway.

Either automatically if the pilot doesn't respond for a while. Or by an occupant with the push of a button.

Looks like the Cirrus Vision jet and Piper M600 are the first to offer it.

Originally Posted by E365
Either automatically if the pilot doesn't respond for a while. Or by an occupant with the push of a button.
The occupant pushes it when the pilot is clearly drunk.

This is a great idea. The FAA can certify based on rare usage only.

So is this a ground up system that has to be built into an airframe or can it be retrofitted to existing airframes.

Just got my copy of "The Aviation Consumer" and I'm a bit floored by what I read. Apparently both Piper and Cirrus are NOT going to raise the prices of their aircraft that include this full system! I'm still rubbing my eyes in disbelief. Garmin must be giving it away to OEM's which, if true, can mean only one thing. They are looking to make a ton in the retrofit market. At any rate, that's my take. Both companies say that retrofits are *poosible* and much easier in fixed gear types and that retrofits are *still on the table*. Wow, maybe I'm easily impressed, but wow.

Originally Posted by DeepFriar
Can't wait to see the cost of the full suite. My guess - $0.5 M.

The only material difference I see in a quick look look at the M600SLS and the M500 is the avionics / autoland suite. The M600SLS is $2.9M and the M500 is $2.1M.

Autoland does not look to be offered as an option on the two lesser planes in the model family.

It's as impressive as Musk's rockets that land themselves at the launch pad, but it sure looks too expensive for GA. If one is the type of guy that really worries about this type of thing, it seems much more economical to hire a copilot for the trip and buy him / her a return ticket home, or have one on the payroll if you have the type of business that can buy and maintain an airplane like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back