Garlic

Can't get enough garlic. Stick a head in foil and grill it, then drizzle with butter. I don't understand people who ration it out a clove at a time like it's the last they'll ever get, lol. At the same time, it does need to be a separate dish, not everyone appreciates it as much as me and it can be overpowering if raw.

I'm so upset!
Made the first trip to the store today in two weeks and forgot to get a bulb of garlic. We're out. Cooking without garlic (or onion) isn't any kind of cooking that I'd be interested in.
P.S.: I don't trust anybody that doesn't like garlic or onion. :)

Love both. Use both as much as I can.

Found some garlic spread, was essentially puréed garlic and oil... was at MOMs organic market. Could eat thst like butter on bread!

Strong anti-oxidant and inflammation fighter. Blood pressure reducer as well. Since I've been eating 2 cloves a day for the past 11 yrs....I haven't been sick. Nothing wrong with daily garlic to keep what ails you at bay. The addition of onions brings out additional beneficial properties of the garlic. Best if eaten within 10-15 minutes of mashing it up, when it's most potent. The majority of the population avoids it except when it shows up by "mistake" in their favored Italian foods and sauces.

i lean to liking onions more than garlic but do use a fair amount of garlic in different foods

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Strong anti-oxidant and inflammation fighter. Blood pressure reducer as well. Since I've been eating 2 cloves a day for the past 11 yrs....I haven't been sick. Nothing wrong with daily garlic to keep what ails you at bay. The addition of onions brings out additional beneficial properties of the garlic. Best if eaten within 10-15 minutes of mashing it up, when it's most potent. The majority of the population avoids it except when it shows up by "mistake" in their favored Italian foods and sauces.

Correct need to take it raw 2 cloves would do daily. Reason it needs to build in your system slowly and become rock solid. You can take it like a tea grate it in WARM water not boiling. Warm water enables faster absorption in the system is what I do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

Garlic is huge in Europe for this reason.

I've been growing garlic and onions for over 40 years. I have 360 garlic plants in the garden now as well as 360 onions.

Here is a shot of the garlic from a couple of days ago, and another of about half of last year's crop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Marco620
I remember when she hated garlic,beer and snakes. Found a snake in the garage a time or two and she threatened not to come out in garage til the snake was gone. So I had to do what I had to do and told her the snake stays

So cute... And i'm married to a Transylvanian....

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Love both. Use both as much as I can.

Found some garlic spread, was essentially puréed garlic and oil... was at MOMs organic market. Could eat thst like butter on bread!

Mash/crush the garlic (I have a manual crusher).
coarse salt, couple table spoons of oil. you can add more oil gradually.
mix until mayo consistency.
I add some fine black pepper since it brings the flavor up.

Please grill your bread
Bon apetit

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
I've been growing garlic and onions for over 40 years. I have 360 garlic plants in the garden now as well as 360 onions.

Tom, you forgot the flowers/crowns...
Now, why would you introduce toxins with a marker on your true organic hard work? (for who doesn't know, our Tom, is the BITOG resident garlic expert, and usually has 3-4 varieties)
Also, do you keep it in baskets or wave them in crown/circles?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Great looking garlic there, Tom!

Is it all for personal consumption or do you sell it at local farmer's market as well?

I reserve about 80 of the largest bulbs for replanting, sell 100 bulbs to a friend in CT who can't physically garden anymore, and my wife and I eat most of the rest of it in our meals and in canning tomato sauce & salsa. I also give some to friends as seed stock to get them started growing it. Last year I planted 470 garlics and it was just too much, so I cut back a bit. Same for the onions. I am still eating fresh onions from last year! Here is a shot of last year's onions, which averaged 3 - 4" when mature.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Tom NJ

Tom, you forgot the flowers/crowns...
Now, why would you introduce toxins with a marker on your true organic hard work? (for who doesn't know, our Tom, is the BITOG resident garlic expert, and usually has 3-4 varieties)
Also, do you keep it in baskets or wave them in crown/circles?

If by flowers/crowns you mean the garlic scapes (flower stalks - see photo below), we eat them as well, grilled or sauteed, and give most away to friends. I mark the stalks to keep track of the variety. I have grown dozens of varieties over the decades and settled on four: Music, Russian Red, Estonian Red, and Killarney Red. I cure the harvested garlic in the shade on my porch for a month until the greens are completely dry, and then trim them and store them in the cellar. I can usually eat them fresh until mid winter (actually still have some good bulbs now!), and also chop & freeze some and make garlic powder.

[Linked Image]

Tom, that is a beautiful garden! That crop looks better than tulips. :)
Makes me want to try growing some myself. Unfortunately, I don't possess the required green thumb. I can barely keep a lawn alive...

Back