Garden hose and release of pressure..why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should know this. When turning off the hose. Why does water force itself out at the connection where the hose is attached to the faucet?

It even happens when the faucet is closes while water is flowing out the other end.

Do you mean with a (closed) nozzle at the end of the hose? If so, it's because there's still pressure built-up in the hose itself, and water will spray out of any opening it can find until that pressure bleeds off.

If the end of your hose is flowing freely, I can't imagine why water would be spraying out of the threaded connection at the spigot unless there were some sort of kink in the hose somewhere (but then you wouldn't expect water to be flowing out the other end). If the hose is open, then I wouldn't expect the pressure in the hose to be great enough to force water out of the threaded connection at the spigot.

Line is still pressurized when you turn the spigot off.

What I do is to leave the hose cracked a bit at the end, then turn off the spigot. No sptting water.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I should know this. When turning off the hose. Why does water force itself out at the connection where the hose is attached to the faucet?

It even happens when the faucet is closes while water is flowing out the other end.

sounds like an anti-siphon spigot.
as soon as you shut off the spigot water sprays out by the spigot from the pressure inside the hose for a few seconds.

Anti- siphon valves are to prevent water from flowing from hose back into house water pipes.

Rubber hoses expand under water pressure and when you turn off the hose nozzle and the faucet, the back pressure will force it out at the faucet end. I believe an anti-siphon valve on the faucet will let more water out.

Last edited:
Mind does that.
It's a freeze proof faucet.
I Think it's to drain water from inside wall where the faucet valve is to the faucet so it want freeze.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
Mind does that.
It's a freeze proof faucet.
I Think it's to drain water from inside wall where the faucet valve is to the faucet so it want freeze.

This as well, anti-syphon may be the wrong word for it.

but all my faucets do it.

This post reminds me to go out and disconnect the hoses from the hose bibs. Going to get to 30F here tonight. Doubt if we will see 52F today as we have solid overcast.Regards

The device in question is a backflow preventer. As stated, it prevents water from flowing back from the hose bib into the house plumbing. Some localities require them under building codes, others do not. You will find them, however, in every faucet in a chemistry lab...

The hose strength members stretch slightly when the hose is pressurized and store some extra water (and energy). This is released when the hose is depressurized. It can be released at either end; it's usually desirable to release it from the free end of the hose to eliminate the spraying mess as you unscrew the hose from the hose bib.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back