Garage floor paint - art

Has anyone ever thought of and painted the garage floor as such? I'm thinking about using three layers of concrete sealant, one whit, one blue and then a clear coat. My driveway is sealed with a water based sealant and it endures very well.

My only concern would be slippery nature of it but an epoxy has the same problem.

download.jpeg

Hardware and paint stores sell small bags of special size sand to put on wet paint so it has traction once it dries. For some reason if you add it to the paint before you paint the surface, the paint does not seam to anywhere near as far, so do not do that.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Hardware and paint stores sell small bags of special size sand to put on wet paint so it has traction once it dries. For some reason if you add it to the paint before you paint the surface, the paint does not seam to anywhere near as far, so do not do that.

Excellent idea. I think that will work. The water based sealant on my concrete driveway is very durable and I think this sand, combined with flat finish {if it exists} is the winning formula.

I use that sand when I paint steps and on the outside porch. Our cellar steps were wet because someone came in from outside when it was raining and soon after that my dad went down those steps and slipped and fell down several steps. He did not break any bones but it took him a while to get over that. I found out about the special sand after that and painted those steps and used it even though the steps otherwise did not need painted. I have used it on the back porch and steps since then. When you use it throw it out wide when you spread it. A little covers a lot of area.

The downside to using the sand is that the surface will be slightly abrasive, so if you normally slide on you back to work under a vehicle, you will want to use a big sheet of cardboard, or a creaper.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The downside to using the sand is that the surface will be slightly abrasive, so if you normally slide on you back to work under a vehicle, you will want to use a big sheet of cardboard, or a creaper.

Another downside is that it is not something you can easily undo.

I do slide around on my back working under the car - I hate the creeper because it moves unpredictably when I'm working on high torque bolts.

It's quite comical.

Back