garage floor coating ?

Originally Posted by PimTac
I know a few people that have had this done or done it themselves. It seems that they start to show wear around the 2 to 3 year mark.

One person I know trashed theirs in short order when they discovered that studded tires and these coatings don't like each other.

Studded tires? lol of course not! Although i think mine would do ok as the coating is somewhat pliable as opposed to a hard brittle coating. I can take a cloth with xylene and smooth it out if needed.

Thats why i chose the solvent H&C stain, recommended by demarpaint. I can clean it and recoat it easily if needed. No tire lift so far. Holds up to moving my large tool chest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Touring5
Originally Posted by Ws6
I have multiple friends with coated garage floors. Mine is not, nor will I. I just don't see the benefit. Can anyone explain WHY you would do this?

- Prevents damage to the concrete from road salt dripping onto and attacking it. I have several neighbors who've had to replace their garage floor because it spalled and crumbled from the salt.
- Appearance. Can brighten the garage. Tends to resist stains from oils, etc.
- Easier to clean (at least in some respects). Again, oil spills can be washed off.
- Because it is sealed it doesn't absorb (part of the above items) this can be both good and bad. Water has to evaporate or make it to a drain (if there is one). Regular concrete will absorb a good amount of water.

How much any benefits are valuable to you are up to you. It's why I did it myself - it was worth it for a couple of hundred $ to me but not worth $1000+.

Makes sense. If my garage was part of my house, I might would do it. Since it's not, I have no impetus to, given what you wrote above.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Makes sense. If my garage was part of my house, I might would do it. Since it's not, I have no impetus to, given what you wrote above.

Thats why i did it, my garage is attached. Easier to clean/sweep it and not track stuff in the house. Bare concrete always seems to lead to dusty foot prints in the house.

If not attached, there would be less reason to do that.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have coated my garage floor. I went with solvent based rustoleum years ago, and I put a valspar clear epoxy over it to protect the color flakes. I used copious amounts of anti skid additive (I'm almost positive I added it to the clear, since that would be on the very top), and can still be like ice in some spots when it gets wet. Out of curiosity I used play sand to do this little 1 foot strip that kind of sits outside, and that was better, more traction. This may be obvious as well, but if you plan to use brake clean in the garage after, use cardboard or something like that under it. I think brake clean destroyed the clear coat in some spots.

The garage/laundry room in my newly-purchased home has really short-pile dark brown carpet...can't imagine who thought that was a good idea, but I cringe at the thought of the mess I'd create by removing it. I had a "Gorilla Garage" floor done in my last house in the garage and it was beautiful...cost about $3000 for a two car garage and had enough texture to not be slippery. One weird thing was water would just sit on it for DAYS...I guess it had previously soaked into the untreated concrete but unless I used a squeegee it would sit there until it evaporated...

Back