Garage burned down to the ground! Where do I start on tools?

Sorry to hear this.

Are you looking to replace all at once, or are you ok with piecemeal? Could pick up a number of sockets at fleamarkets, not sure if that would be cheaper than getting a set at HF though.

If you are stuck with storing inside the house, I would give good thought to buying a kit in a blow molded case. Perhaps even store it in the trunk of a car. The cheaper sets tend to come with crappy ratchets, so I'd plan on replacing that pretty quickly. Otherwise I'd get a nice toolbox to store tools in, maybe look for ones that come with somewhat decent holders (the plastic bits used to hold the tools while on the retail wall in the store).

What is the goal? To do all your car repairs, or just some random repairs for now?

Sorry to hear this.

Are you looking to replace all at once, or are you ok with piecemeal

That's the big question. If he has time, he can find some deals on ebay. I have purchased some used snapon sets that have hardly been used.

For new wrenches, check out Wright tool, very good wrenches for the money, usa made! I have a set and i love them.

Knipex pliers. Some channellocks. Good deals can be found on facebook marketplace as well.

Im about to build a big garage . This thread settles it . Im putting some sort of a fire system in it . Definitely an alarm .

Even if you own a home with no mortgage, homeowner insurance is a must unless you can afford to replace buildings, replace personal possessions and also pay for the medical bills, pain and suffering of some poor slob that gets injured on your property. I'm not preaching here, but IF you had HO insurance, the garage and contents would be covered unless you specifically deleted detached building coverage.

Was the fire so hot that all your hand tools got ruined? Could you clean them up enough with a wire wheel to make do with them while you buy other stuff? As for what to buy, a floor jack with stands has gotta be high on the list.

Fire was so hot it cracked the concrete foundation, and totally obliterated two riding mowers in a "lean too" into a pool of aluminum. A "T" post just outside the structure got so hot that I can bend it with my foot and hand!

I had vinyl siding and totally burned out in like 6 hours, damaged vinyl/plastic things 40ft away,
The side that had the lean-too had metal siding and totally saved a mobile home about twenty feet away, the side that had vinyl siding severely warped home skirting 40 ft away.

The Garage was loaded, bunch of storage and tons of chemicals. Not sure how the fire started. left 3am for work and jumped in the garage for a portable air tank, didn't smell smoke or anything,....neighbor discovered the building ablaze around 7 a.m. It was not worth saving at that point so they let it burn itself out.

I would not trust a wrench that had been though a fire like that.

What is the goal? To do all your car repairs, or just some random repairs for now?
The goal is I can replace a engine/transimission/wheel bearing/ball joints at my home with enough tools should everything fight against me.
There has been many times in the past we were replacing a water pump or wheel bearing, and come across stubborn fasteners that need drilled/torched/ chiseled/or cut... often driving to town for a new tool.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear it. Not sure what you do for a living or how often you your tools but I would start at good old Harbor Freight to get you going. Try some local pawn shops and Craigslist too.

My condo's shared detached garage burned down a few years back. Supposedly some drunk guys started a small fire in the dumpster and it caught the garage. Wife's car, my motorcycle and most of my hand tools were totaled. Homeowner's insurance covered most of the tools though, luckily. Similarly, the fire must have burned fairly hot, windows that were pretty far away cracked from the heat.

I started off with a fairly basic ~150pc (can't remember exactly) socket set from Costco. I'd make a quick list of your known most used tools to get buy right away, then buy additional tools as you need them.

My insurance had me list all the items I had, and an approximate value. They gave me a percentage of the value, then reimbursed more if/when I purchased an actual replacement within the next year. I had to submit receipts. It was kind of nice that I didn't have to replace all the tools that I may not have needed again. It was also nice to replace the tools that I knew I used the most with slightly higher quality models.

I bought a HF 20t hydraulic press to swap out bushings (still cheaper than taking it somewhere), and I had finished the work already, so I decided not to replace it.

It would be a very strange Homeowners policy that did not cover a garage. Typically it would be a "dwelling extension" and probably automatically be covered for 10% of the "dwelling" limit. Tools would be personal property but might be subject to a special limit.

Farm and Ranch policy could get messy...

As far as where to start, I'd start with a large complete package from someone and add the little stuff. I'd buy quality stuff... but i'm sure thats at least partially from the time that I made a living with them.

Wow, that sounds like a super hot fire and something to think about. I have an older shed out back that I've thought about tearing down often, but maybe I should pretty it up instead and move as much of the flammable stuff out there that I can. I already keep my gas cans in it, but there's a lot in the garage and shop that could really get going if there was a fire.

Wowzer. I can't wait to get my outside shed built, get the couple gallons of gas that I store in my garage out of here. My OPE sits outside, the gas can should too. I never reallly wanted an attached garage, although it certainly is convenient.

That’s awful, but luckily for you it doesn’t seem like you lost a ton of tools. If my garage burnt down, first off it’s attached to my house so I’d lose that probably. As for tools? Oh my lord! Compressor, weed wackers, leaf blower, cordless impact drivers, a fridge, countless shovels rakes and other outdoorsy things...and maybe 500 various hand tools and a giant tool box. Oh and a generator, and my most prized possession...a stream light flash light (I love that thing).

Glad you’re ok. Insurance will cover it hopefully.

If I was in your shoes I would buy a set in a blow molded case as complete as I could afford. Husky, Dewalt, channel lock all have nice sets for around 200.. then as you need them get the other stuff but buy quality. Buy once cry once.

When I worked in a truck shop it was pretty simple deal. USED snap on for anything you use a lot and harbor freight for backups

Buying tool truck brand stuff new, hell no not a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Back