galvanized trailer

I recently posted that I got a mudboat, it sits on a galvanized trailer. This boat will be launched in saltwater most of the time, with some freshwater use. My plan is to pressure wash the trailer and rewire it, then coat the whole trailer with either Corrosion X HD, Fluid Film, or Wool Wax. Which would offer the best protection?

A word of caution on the bunks. For a time period, bunks were pressure treated wood, covered in some form of carpeting. The copper in the pressure treated wood oozes thru the carpeting and to the aluminum hull. This can cause pitting and/or holes in your hull. I would suggest a barrier over the bunks to separate them from your hull a little further. I used cellulose PVC lumber. It also acts as a nice slide bunk for easier launching. Bottom paint on the hull also helps but I doubt your bottom painting a mudboat.

For hosing down the trailer after a a dip in salt, I use Salt Away or Salt Terminator. You'll need a hose adapter which applies the treatment. I also douse the trailer with Fluid Film on the sweet spots.

What's your mudboat? I drove a ProDrive a time or two. Fairly crazy experience. That thing could not corner very well. But then it didnt matter if you beached it, being air cooled.

Its fiberglass.

07Piloteer, its a 15 foot hull with a 15 hp motor. Straight drive, no clutch. I plan on putting a stage 4 kit from NR Racing to have it at 40 hp. Light hull, should move pretty fast.

If there are hollow members in the trailer I'd use CorrosionX there for sure as it will flow out and cover the interior surface of the tube better than the lanolin products IME.

Also IME it's not great for any place that's right in the windstream; IIRC even the Heavy Duty won't stay on places that are exposed to high-velocity airflow for any length of time. Worked great to drastically slow corrosion on the underbody of my CRV, but when I applied it at the rusting bottom inch of the radio antenna (mounted right on the passenger quarter panel) it wouldn't last the winter.

Back