Galil ACE 556 mini review w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: MarcS
Seems if you slap "Made in Israel" on anything you can charge way too much money.

Not true at all. You can buy IWI 100% all steel Jerico semi auto pistols in both 9 MM and .45 ACP for under $600.00 today. They are very well made, and run as or more reliably than any gun on the market in it's class. And the Israeli manufactured Desert Eagle Pistols sell for the same amount as those that are manufactured in Pillager, Minnesota. I paid less than $500.00 for this when I bought it. The fact IWI manufactured it did nothing to the price.

Glad you like it, but it should be a $300 gun. I used to work at a shooting range owned by an Israeli guy who loved all things Israel. He had a Jericho in the rental case. Heavy, terrible trigger, krylon-looking finish and it had a habit of breaking small parts and going full auto.

IMO, all Israeli designed guns fall in to at least one, if not more, of these categories:

1) overpriced (you can get something comparable or better for significantly less)
2) overweight (even public enemy agrees with me)
3) unreliable (Jericho's [censored] small parts, Tavor's constantly jamming and needing complete rebuilds in 10K rounds, etc)

Last edited:
That said, I'd totally own an old school Uzi or Galil as a collectors piece, though my favorite gun associated with the Israelis is the Beretta 71

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
To the contemporary American gun market, Israeli manufactured items are Veblen goods [status symbols], like Harley-Davidson motorcycles. IMO.

By that standard, everyone that wants to shoot a rifle chambered in 556 NATO should sell everything that isn't a $400 AR15.

BSW

That's a logical fallacy. I'm not saying anything about the utility or quality of the item. I'm saying that people pay extra for the unique factor, or maybe history behind Israeli guns.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
To the contemporary American gun market, Israeli manufactured items are Veblen goods [status symbols], like Harley-Davidson motorcycles. IMO.

By that standard, everyone that wants to shoot a rifle chambered in 556 NATO should sell everything that isn't a $400 AR15.

BSW

That's a logical fallacy. I'm not saying anything about the utility or quality of the item. I'm saying that people pay extra for the unique factor, or maybe history behind Israeli guns.

What I feel that I paid for is:
1) A milled 556 NATO AK, value of $800-1000
2) That shoots STANAG magazines, has a bolt hold open integrated into the action, left side CH, ambi safety, and has about a pound of weight missing.
3) A factory warranty.

I know I can find #1, and might find a good smith that could do #2, though probably not for under another $1000, but it would be unique and probably require tuning. It certainly wouldn't have #3.

BSW

I think one thing is for sure BSW; you have something that stands out, and will have a ready buyer willing to pay top dollar if you ever decide to sell. I wish you nothing but success and satisfaction with this rifle.
cheers3.gif

I think one thing is for sure BSW; you have something that stands out, and will have a ready buyer willing to pay top dollar if you ever decide to sell. I wish you nothing but success and satisfaction with this rifle.
cheers3.gif

The original Galil was one of my 'cool kid' guns, but I wasn't interested in spending so much cash on shot out, old guns.

Then IWI announced they were importing the Galil ACE series. I've been waiting a couple years for the 556 rifle to actually ship...

BSW

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Heavy, terrible trigger, krylon-looking finish and it had a habit of breaking small parts and going full auto.

Mine has over 5K of just about every type of .45 ACP ammo made through it. Never a single problem.... Ever. Performance always trumps opinion.

Bsmith, nice review thanks. These look like a great platform.

Someone seems to have an irrational chip on their shoulder about Israeli guns to the point of believing anecdotes equal fact.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Someone seems to have an irrational chip on their shoulder about Israeli guns to the point of believing anecdotes equal fact.

No, I just enjoy hearing people who have never touched a machine tool in their entire life, tell me how much guns should cost that are manufactured on them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: JDM396

No, I just enjoy hearing people who have never touched a machine tool in their entire life, tell me how much guns should cost that are manufactured on them.

I wasn't referring to you.

Being made in Israel, Japan, Germany etc....is a not something that marks quality. I mean I always used to hear of "German Engineering" and whatnot in the 80's but look at it this way. Germans make excellent Korth revolvers...but they also made Rohm wheelguns and the not so great EAA Windicators also.

Go by the company, not by the nation of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back