G1 Gen 3 vs. G1 Gen 2 Performance Concerns ?

The new G1 Gen 3 GM oil spec has some folks speculating the protection may have gone backwards a bit from the previous G1 Gen 2 version approved oils ... What is your take on the new G1 Gen 3 oils - what do you like and what do you not care for ?

Never found Dexos approval to be a benefit, though I was likely choosing oils that would leap above the Dexos bar.
My current oil is not Dexos though it appears to exceed anything I have run that I have purchased in the past at Walmart.
Performance, Smoothness, Quietness and good fuel mileage. An oil I may consider buying in bulk before QS "change" something. And I never do that. - Ken

The new G1 Gen 3 GM oil spec has some folks speculating the protection may have gone backwards a bit from the previous G1 Gen 2 version approved oils ... What is your take on the new G1 Gen 3 oils - what do you like and what do you not care for ?
I wonder if it's related to this article which said GM was in some instances seeing worse performance with Gen3 oils rather than Gr3+.

The Lubrizol Relative Performance Comparison chart shows better wear protection with Gen2 but Gen3 has better performance in terms of deposits and oxidative thickening.

Last edited:
D1G3 should have the same, if not better wear protective compared to D1G2.

Lubrizol is the only additive supplier who has downgraded D1G3 in terms of wear protection. Their reasoning is because GM removed the Engine Test and went to a Bench Test. It’s all silliness in my opinion. None of the other additive supplies have downgraded D1G3 wear protection, just Lubrizol.

Attachments

• D767CEC8-4920-44D3-92C4-7F9FE93AD0FE.jpeg
    D767CEC8-4920-44D3-92C4-7F9FE93AD0FE.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I wonder if it's related to this article which said GM was in some instances seeing worse performance with Gen3 oils rather than Gr3+.

The Lubrizol Relative Performance Comparison chart shows better wear protection with Gen2 but Gen3 has better performance in terms of deposits and oxidative thickening.
That's exactly where it's coming from.

Back