G05 in Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all. i had a 95 V6 toyota 4runner come into my work the other day and they requested a coolant exchange. i looked in the car and it appeared to have green coolant, im used to most toyotas having red. all we had on hand was Zerex G05 golden tint coolant, so thats what i used in a 50/50 mix with water. im thinking everything should be ok, but i wanted to make sure with the experts. some of the other people at my shop said i shouldve used Dex-Cool.

A thorough rinse with distilled water followed with the G05 is ok, but not being an "expert", I'm not sure if your 4-Runner had Dexcool or not. It may have had a phosphate-based collant as did Honda. If your car had Dexcool to begin with, barring trouble, I'd have stayed with it. DexCool is no in and of itself evil, assuming a healthy cooling system. I ran it for many years in My 92 Elantra with stellar performance.

These days, in my 2005 Hyundai Accent, I'm on G05, which I replaced the factory swill with the first week I owned the car.

no my car, just one that came into my shop for work. didnt do a flush with distilled, just use our coolant flush machine.

had a 95 toyota camry come in today for a coolant service that had regular green coolant in it.

Regardless what had been in those Toyotas, you did no harm changing it out to quality G-05. A coolant flush machine is the lazy man's sure way to exchange all the old coolant. For the rest of us he-men amateurs, repeated flushes with distilled or de-ionized water is the "preferred" way to kill half a day or more getting the old coolant out...

*There's a chance that one or both vehicles had WalMart's own SuperTech Prestone-made "dexclone" in their cooling systems (essentially DEX-COOL® but without having paid GM to use the licensed name). The WalMart brew is also green, but is silicate and phosphate free - just OAT, pH adjusters, marker dye, and ethylene glycol.

As long as you used a coolant exchange machine you are fine! You would not want to mix G-05 with a green coolant for best protection. G-05's big claim to faim is that it handles the hard water you find in Germany just fine.

Quote:

Regardless what had been in those Toyotas, you did no harm changing it out to quality G-05. A coolant flush machine is the lazy man's sure way to exchange all the old coolant. For the rest of us he-men amateurs, repeated flushes with distilled or de-ionized water is the "preferred" way to kill half a day or more getting the old coolant out...

*There's a chance that one or both vehicles had WalMart's own SuperTech Prestone-made "dexclone" in their cooling systems (essentially DEX-COOL® but without having paid GM to use the licensed name). The WalMart brew is also green, but is silicate and phosphate free - just OAT, pH adjusters, marker dye, and ethylene glycol.

It's possible. Prestone's All Makes All Models "Dexclone" is green, but of a very, very light green and appears completely different than PEAK conventional. Walmart's SuperTech "Dexclone" has recently changed to an amber color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back