G-05/Motorcraft Premium Gold Caveats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following the various topics of replacing standard green ethylene glycol coolant with Zerex G-05/Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant with extreme interest.

This afternoon I went to schedule an appointment with my local Ford dealer service department to replace the green coolant with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine coolant in my 2001 Taurus.

Service Writer I spoke with was very insistent that I not attempt this, because even though they they do a complete cooling system flush, he cannot guarantee total elimination of green coolant from system.

He indicated that chemical incompatibilities exist between these types of coolant. Because of these incompatibilities, gelatinous deposits may occur within the cooling system wherever these coolants contact each other.

Could this be true or is Service Writer a nutter
confused.gif
confused.gif

[ April 13, 2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Iain ]

A nutter. (Where do these people get some of this stuff? Do stealership personnel managers raid homes for the feeble-minded when they need to fill service writer positions?)

quote:

Originally posted by Iain:
He indicated that chemical incompatibilities exist between these types of coolant. Because of these incompatibilities, gelatinous deposits may occur within the cooling system wherever these coolants contact each other.

What a boob.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I'd find another dealership. I wouldn't want these guys doing anything to my car.

you can bet your bottom dollar i would trust chemists at zerex moreso than service advisors at a dealership. theyre both EG coolants. i trust G 05 to replace conventional green moreso than OAT dexcool-types.

The manual in my '02 Sable just says "if it came with green fluid, keep using green fluid".
I suppose he's finding a way to follow the company line there.

I printed out the "Service Coolant Usage Chart" from the Motorcraft website..... Had to poke around to find it.
It is "revised 7/27/05"

Shows your 2001 Taurus as "GY"in the chart.... which means, that it came from the factory with "Traditional" Green silicate coolant (Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant)....
BUT that either green or "Motorcraft Premium Yellow Coolant" (G-05) can be used.....
WITH the following important conditions.
If you do NOT get all the GREEN coolant out, then replace the YELLOW coolant on the same schedule as the green coolant system called for.

In other words, it is OK to mix yellow (long life) with the green (not long life), but you will need to follow the service interval for the green (not long life).

That is the "official" FORD information as of 7/27/2005.
This coolant stuff is a moving target.....

wiswind wrote:
quote:

I printed out the "Service Coolant Usage Chart" from the Motorcraft website..... Had to poke around to find it.
It is "revised 7/27/05"

Cool!
bowdown.gif

Do you have a link to that?

I tried searching Motorcraft site for that phrase but site search returned over 300 hits
freak2.gif

quote:

Shows your 2001 Taurus as "GY"in the chart.... which means, that it came from the factory with "Traditional" Green silicate coolant (Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant)....
BUT that either green or "Motorcraft Premium Yellow Coolant" (G-05) can be used.....
WITH the following important conditions.
If you do NOT get all the GREEN coolant out, then replace the YELLOW coolant on the same schedule as the green coolant system called for.

In other words, it is OK to mix yellow (long life) with the green (not long life), but you will need to follow the service interval for the green (not long life).

No problem retaining green service interval. Just want coolant with lower PH value than green.

Green = PH value of 11 v Gold = 8.

The above is the "Official" word from FORD.
I have G-05 in my '96 3.8L Windstar, which came from the factory with "traditional green".
My choice, based upon my reading (most of it on this forum).
However, that is outside of the FORD recommendations.

Hi

After I did my LIM gaskets last year on my Olds LSS with the 3800 Series II (L36), i flushed the system very thoroughly and installed G-05.

A sidenote, it appears that AZ doesnt carry G-05 anylonger. This would seem to indicate that a trip to either Ford or D/C next time?

Hi

Unfortunatly, no.

I have two gals of D/C equivalant which will be used in a friend's '99 buick needing the LIMs done in May.

I used all 3 types of anti-freeze in my VW Jetta. It came with "Blue" VW Coolant, and I used traditional green, Dex-Cool, G-05, and even tried the Sierra Enviro Friendly stuff (whatever that is).

I never had any problems and i just did a regular flush (with engine running and heater open) with a garden hose in order to change over. I owned the car 11 years and drove it over 200K. I had to replace the radiator when the car was about 5 yrs old due to a minor accident that cracked the plastic outter porition of the radiator at the hose inlet.

I think the important thing is to recognize that no matter how wonderful a coolant is, problems can and often do come up when people try to let their cars go forever without flushing the coolant. My current car came with dex-cool and i'm changing it every 25K. It's cheap and easy insurance.

G-05 and traditional green coolant will mix fine. That service writer is an idiot. The only deposits that will occur in the system is from not servicing it.

The Ford dealer will have several coolants on hand but most shops, even very good ones, will not. Everyone who comes in gets the same thing whether as a top off, drain and fill or flush.

Speak to another service writer or ask to speak directly with the tech who will perform the service.

If you're still concerned just stick with the green coolant. Nothing wrong with it and if serviced regularly it will perform very well in that car.

Steelers wrote:
quote:

G-05 and traditional green coolant will mix fine. That service writer is an idiot. The only deposits that will occur in the system is from not servicing it.

The Ford dealer will have several coolants on hand but most shops, even very good ones, will not. Everyone who comes in gets the same thing whether as a top off, drain and fill or flush.

Speak to another service writer or ask to speak directly with the tech who will perform the service.

If you're still concerned just stick with the green coolant. Nothing wrong with it and if serviced regularly it will perform very well in that car.

There was round 2 to that a week later.

I went back armed with more facts and spoke to a different service writer and subsequently a service engineer. The facts I presented from Ford sources were very clear, precise and supported what I wanted to do. Yet dealership turned those facts around to support their position. For example, the engineer pointed out a sticker on my overflow coolant tank that show a coolant tank with orange liquid and a red circle and diagonal line imposed over it. That colourblind wanker tried to convince me orange was yellow.
rolleyes.gif

Minutes later, they agreed to do do the work but at cost of almost three times original estimate.

That dealership are all bloody idiots; I will not allow them to touch my car again. Now that I have Service Coolant Usage Chart, I'll go to another dealer and present that as further evidence.

I'm tired of this. I just want to get this done and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back