FYI... CJ-4 Oil Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ttnews.com/lmt/Apr06/cj4.asp

gr_eek2.gif

I'm not sure I like this...

Great read. Appreciate you posting that mettech.

While I don't like the fact that the TBN is lowered, maybe a high TBN isn't necessary with the new ULSD? On the flip side and as the article pointed out, the off road vehicles and equipment using the off road diesel are going to suffer shorter drain intervals than before with the new CJ-4 formulation.

I'm not sure what all the companies will do, but Chevron has stated that they will continue to provide CI-4+ oils because they will be lower cost and higher demand for the foreseeable future. They are under the impression, I think correctly, that most managers will want to continue to run the CI-4+ oils in the pre 07 on road engines/drain intervals as well as the Marine and off-road engines that will not require the new oils. I’m planning on sticking with CI-4+

I believe the lower TBN is to help prevent contamination of the DPF and catalyst mufflers. There maybe some issues with EGR that they are trying to address with CJ, but that is just a guess really.
dunno.gif

Our Cummins tech rep told us to expect BIG price increases on the new diesel lube oils.
Word to the wise: stockpile the old stuff if you can.

the majors know that the NEW stuff will not be in demand for a few years and will still sell the OLD CI-4 I will.
bruce

Does it appear that CJ-4 will be an additonal line of oil and it will not be grandfather for older diesels?

If so, CI-4 oil may morph into..CI-4+++++++... lol..

It will be interesting to see what the engine makers say about it.

Supposedly so... Shell has been doing CJ-4 testing on current tech engines for some time now... However, I could forsee it like the current API 'S' spec oils... most mainline oils are SM, but there are many ranges of oils (HM, straight weight, extended drain, etc.) that are still SL, and who knows if theyll ever deviate from that spec!

quote:

The Difference in Shell Oils
The Difference in Shell Oils

In September 2004, Shell started the research and development process for CJ-4 motor oils and is now well advanced in the development of oil formulations that not only meet the formal specifications, but also deliver value and customer benefits for all users - including those with older engines.

Hundred of Thousands of Test Miles

We already have hundreds of thousands of miles of testing with our new formulation technology in on-highway 2007 model and current engine technologies. Additionally, Shell has significant experience in developing oil products for use in other parts of the world that have similar requirements.

ROTELLA Engine 2007 Article

Real World Testing

And, as can be expected, we're testing our new formulations not only in the lab but also in real-world situations to make sure our products meet your needs. You can rest easy that Shell will have the appropriate products available as soon as possible so your operations will continue running smoothly. In fact, we fully expect to have our formulation readily available ahead of the anticipated October effective date.

The Shell Difference

At Shell we have a team of highly skilled, knowledgeable professionals dedicated to developing the highest quality products with the new specifications and getting them out to you as quickly as possible. We are working in conjunction with the API, ASTM, EMA and the leading OEMs so our understanding of all the requirements is complete.

Shell Protection and Performance

So no matter if you'll continue to run your current engine or one of the new 2007 models you can rest assured that Shell products will provide you with the protection and performance you've come to depend on.

JMH

The TBN level of new oil is not as important as how long the TBN remains in the usable range for oil in service. Higher cost additive components can give this result.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back