FVP ReliaGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory Motor Parts is an OE distributor and they launched their own line of products like filters, oil and batteries. I acquired an oil filter to try on my mothers 2004 Chrysler 300M but I have not been able to figure out who the supplier is. I am hoping someone here can figure that by viewing some pics.

To be fair I bought it at the employee rate, which is lower than what a dealer or independent shop would be paying. Lets call it between $1.00 and $1.25 for the filter.

15x1ro2.jpg

2pskkmp.jpg

9fp8c8.jpg

c5kax.jpg

14cv4ao.jpg

Without anything more to go on than the pics, the tapping/base plate design, hole shape and number and center tube it looks to be a Purolator made filter. Got a country of origin? Here's a pic of the equivalent L14670.

$_12.JPG

Menards carries fvp branded bar and chain oil. I have never used it but some people on a chainsaw website I go to seam to like it. Other than that I have never seen this brand. Maybe it will be good stuff.

I believe that is one of those china made oil filters probably ok but no thanks! I will stick with my usa made wix, Purolator, fram, motorcraft, etc oil filters

Quote:
Made in China.
So you have a positive confirmation regarding COO, or this is an opinion? If positive please post that information.

Numbering system unreliable as identifier of manufacturer. DriveWorks uses a variation of Purolator system by dropping first digit, no relation to Puro. AAP Total Grip used Fram numbers, unmistakably a Purolator made filter.

As for interior diagrams, many previous posting here have shown them also to be frequently unreliable. All the made in China spin on oil filters posted here use a coil spring rather than the leaf spring shown. The leaf spring shown in the diagram isn't a Purolator design either though.

The base plate at the thread area with the two different looking materials with the brushed metal overlapping the shiny thread area is the same as Purolator and I've not seen that on another brand. Looking at the Advance Auto pic of the equivalent DriveWorks DW-4670, looks to be a one piece plate. And iirc, the DriveWorks like the Rural King uses a slotted/slit type centertube openings, where the RVP uses the same round holes as Purolator.

Going against it being a Purolator filter though is the cello seal on the base plate and the leak test statement on dome, never seen either used on a Purolator made filter.

All that said, without positive confirmation of COO or dissection, it's an academic exercise. Perhaps since the OP asks the question he will return at some point and provide more information. If it is a China made filter, from the baseplate view it's one heck of copy of a Purolator, which all things considered shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

Sadly what you see in the picture is what I was given, no box and no country of origin.

This filter will be mounted in a few hours so I am not able to open it up. For the price that it cost me I would be willing to buy another one and crack it open and take a look at the inside.

I think I am removing a Mobil1 filter today instead of the normal L14670 I generally use on this car. It gets a fill of Rotella 10w30 and is changed every 5,000 miles so I am not all that worried about the FVP filter. It can't be any worse than the NAPA ProSelect filter I found it at one time with over 9,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If it is a China made filter, from the baseplate view it's one heck of copy of a Purolator, which all things considered shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

They might have copied some of the design aspects of Purolator just to make people think Purolator has involvement. The Chinese love to copy successful and well known designs.

All though, the info on the FVP website says the filters are "Designed in the USA" ... so maybe there is some Purolator design involvement for FVP(?) ... hard to say.

As stated made in China and it has a coil spring. Been seeing Premium Guard air and oil filters with FVP part number stickers slapped on the box. Also have seen made in USA Champ/Framp brand. Some cabin air filters have been coming from Champion yes the company known for spark plugs. Champion is Federal-Mogul and make a lot of parts in China and they are getting in the filter market. So my guess is either Affinia or Federal-Mogul do private label for FVP.

Last edited:
Can't help thinking Mann/Bosch is licensing their designs to be built by somebody in China, too many of these filters are (almost) exact copies of the Puro Classic.

Quote:
As stated made in China and it has a coil spring.....

So again, you've purchased the FVP RG and cut it open to positively confirm it uses a coil retainer spring as speculated, and that it says made in China on the box? Or you are going off the linked pictures on the previous page of the quite similar looking exterior of the Pentius? I won't speculate that the FVP is related to any US based filter maker or company, solely on hearsay. Imo, it could just as easily be a China based oil filter manufacturer that makes filters for many private labels like FVP, Pentius and Premuim Guard. Though it has also been the subject of speculation regarding manufacturer, the DriveWorks filter made for Advance Auto also has no authoritative identifiable manufacturer name.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If it is a China made filter, from the baseplate view it's one heck of copy of a Purolator, which all things considered shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

They might have copied some of the design aspects of Purolator just to make people think Purolator has involvement. The Chinese love to copy successful and well known designs.....

Yes, the copy aspect with China is basically what I was referring to when I said 'all things considered.' As for the FVP designed in US, anything is possible but that seems a rather vague name drop, or in this case country drop. The cello seal over the base and the leak tested statement on the dome being the same as the made for Rural King filter is the difference from Purolator made and 'made for' filters, that changed my opinion of the manufacturer. The cello seal and the OP mentioning the RVP being a possible commercial accounts supplier, reminded me of a related thread below that I remembered reading. The title makes me laugh though, like cello seal is the most significant part of filter selection.
crazy.gif
I Only Buy Oil Filters Wrapped in Plastic Now

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Can't help thinking Mann/Bosch is licensing their designs to be built by somebody in China, too many of these filters are (almost) exact copies of the Puro Classic.

I'm not sure licensing is required to reverse engineer, ie., copy a design. And really when it come to the element not that difficult to copy that design, done all the time. Considering the truth of what ZO related regarding China and copy, seems a more logical explanation imo. Though it too means little regarding manufacturer, use of coil retainer spring more similar to Wix and Baldwin.

I'm not sure licensing is required to reverse engineer, ie., copy a design. And really when it come to the element not that difficult to copy that design, done all the time. Considering the truth of what ZO related regarding China and copy, seems a more logical explanation imo. Though it too means little regarding manufacturer, use of coil retainer spring more similar to Wix and Baldwin.

Guess it's a "hybrid copy" ... they should throw in a base end bypass valve too from the Motorcraft.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back