Future price of Motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us could probably use some professional counseling regarding the present size of their oil stash, or perhaps be on a reality show called Oil Horders. However, if my understanding is correct, the price of motor oil is probably going to continue to rise with the price of crude oil and chemicals. I’m already two years ahead, but I just want to use up the rest of those Pennzoil rebates and maybe a few of those Mobil and Quaker State rebates. My name is Snagglefoot and I’m an Oilaholic.
lol.gif

Oil hoarding, Canadian vs USA oil prices, chat about oil pricing as a "current event".......

What I'm fearing (to the point of soiling myself) is the impending, mandated oil change cartridges.
You can see 'em in those John Deere 100 series lawn tractors where a large filter containing oil is removed with a twist of a bayonet mount.
There's valving in the filter and yes, a complete, 100% oil change isn't provided.

Why, you ask? Because too, too many fools dump their oil and something has to be done to stop the pollution.
They know how much oil is sold, recycled and either leaked away or dumped into the environment.

So when the time finally comes to take the oil out of our hands you can.....
A) REALLY scream about the price
B) Blame some political entity.

A hefty deposit should be charged on oil sales. You get it all back when you return your spent oil.
The deposit would dampen hoarding.
Real easy if we go about this honestly.
I am not holding my breath.

Again, I'm exempting BITOGers from my blanket expectation of society to resist saving the Earth.
We are the superior life form.

Originally Posted By: Kira
What I'm fearing (to the point of soiling myself) is the impending, mandated oil change cartridges.

Maybe you should join oil preppers anonymous.

Correct but for more reasons than you listed...

Base oils (which constitute about 90-95% of engine oil) will rise with crude oil. Most of the petrochemical stuff that goes into the DI & VII is linked to the prices of basic olefins, benzene & alcohol which in turn are indirectly linked to the price of crude.

However if you're looking to the future, GF-6 hasn't gone away and reformulating all US oils to meet GF-6 is going to cost a lot of dosh! With GF-6, there will be a lot more tests to pass and importantly, these tests are new. Whilst none of these tests might not be individually that difficult, it could be a lot of repeat tests are required to pass ALL of the tests SIMULTANEOUSLY on one formulation. Even if this proves not to be the case & everything is easy-peasy, then I'd anticipate a lot of repeat testing would be run to get the oil competitively priced (aka as cheap a possible!).

Although it's the oil companies & AddCo's that pay the test houses to run this stuff, be very aware that 100% of the cost will be factored into the price of GF-6 oils and paid by you the consumer.

LOL just in the last couple of months the price of a Jug of oil has moved up about $3 a jug that is unless your talking the new stuff like Mobil 1 AP and the newest Valvoline's market test at around $44. Me with sales and rebate my latest price was about $9 a Jug. But you do what you want because you will certainly not shame me into your way of thinking. Oh just so you know I'm a Ammo hoarder as well but when the S hits the fan don't show up here for any. Snagglefoot do you know of any good 12 step programs for us?

Last edited:

A hefty deposit should be charged on oil sales. You get it all back when you return your spent oil.
I am not holding my breath...

While I do agree to an extent, the problem is you will never return what you bought. The filter retains some oil. Engines burn some oil. Some oil will remain in the jug, some in the drain pan.
And heaven forbid if your engine burns oil. If I did a 7500 mile interval I would use 10 qts (6 initial fill, 4 makeup qts). If I did a "continuous" oil change (just adding a qt when low and changing the filter every 10,000 miles) I would never get my deposit back. Yet I get punished the same as the guy that dumps it down the drain. And what of those that use the used oil as heating fuel?
Then you have all the schmucks that would dilute the used oil with who knows what to get their full deposit back

I gave away most of my oil-filters
Reforming for me was simple and easy.
Oil and filters laying around to use promotes waste and you are assuming you will have the vehicle around
to use it all up. Now- the week of surgery I buy the oil and filter and I buy from places with rapid turnover.
Also I'm using specific brands and weights and really am not interested in the deal. It took virtually no effort
to accomplish this mindset.

If your hoarding is out of control, get off of here and it will go away rather quickly. Chasing deals is a false economy.
You end up buying and spending far too much...........

The down side of a stash is what to do when the herd flocks to the next newest improved 50% better than oil?.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
My name is Snagglefoot and I’m an Oilaholic.
lol.gif

What was your name here before Snagglefoot because a self proclaimed oilaholic would have joined this site way way before 2017. Busted!

Quote:

That would be a major blow to boutique oil brands.

My 2¢

Oil hoarding, Canadian vs USA oil prices, chat about oil pricing as a "current event".......

You can see 'em in those John Deere 100 series lawn tractors where a large filter containing oil is removed with a twist of a bayonet mount.
There's valving in the filter and yes, a complete, 100% oil change isn't provided.

Why, you ask? Because too, too many fools dump their oil and something has to be done to stop the pollution.
They know how much oil is sold, recycled and either leaked away or dumped into the environment.

So when the time finally comes to take the oil out of our hands you can.....
A) REALLY scream about the price
B) Blame some political entity.

Again, I'm exempting BITOGers from my blanket expectation of society to resist saving the Earth.
We are the superior life form.

I am in favor of less government , not more . More interested in saving us from government ( and do-gooders , than saving the planet ) .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

...I am in favor of less government , not more . More interested in saving us from government ( and do-gooders , than saving the planet ) .

With so many places to deposit used oil today I don't think the 'dump anywhere" syndrome is a valid argument for further taxes and more government intrusion.

I predict engine oil and lubricant prices will increase but slowly.

With the large inventories of Group III base oils, I think the likes of the synthetic versions of SuperTech. Mag1, and other 'Synthetic' lubricants are a good, bang-for-the-buck today.

Last edited:

This line of thinking makes my blood boil. You want to use the aggressive force of a central authority (federal government) to impose your own personal will on others.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

...I am in favor of less government , not more . More interested in saving us from government ( and do-gooders , than saving the planet ) .

With so many places to deposit used oil today I don't think the 'dump anywhere" syndrome is a valid argument for further taxes and more government intrusion.

I predict engine oil and lubricant prices will increase but slowly.

With the large inventories of Group III base oils, I think the likes of the synthetic versions of SuperTech. Mag1, and other 'Synthetic' lubricants are a good, bang-for-the-buck today.

I’ll venture a guess and say that more oil is dumped via leaking and burning than by intentional means.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

This line of thinking makes my blood boil. You want to use the aggressive force of a central authority (federal government) to impose your own personal will on others.

Don't get your blood too hot; it's not going to happen and the evil gov't isn't trying to take all your freedumb away. 'Murica!

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
We won’t be needing much engine oil in the coming years because the world is going electric.

Don’t worry, we’ll be debating grease.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back