Funny thing happened at Walmart just now

Okay, quickly. I am in here early morning, aisle is blocked by older guy bent over digging through motor oil and I'm not passing the aisle and I'm letting him do whatever he does he's obviously selecting oil. Obviously a little cranky.

I hear him ask into his phone, "What kind of transmission fluid does a 1984 Chevy Monte Carlo take."

As if I am Siri, as I found my oil and have it.. I say, "GM Dexron 3 sir, it will tell you that."

The guy is obviously stunned so we have a couple seconds delayed response but he says Thank You.

I wanted to follow that up by saying "It might be Dexron 2 tbecause that's 1984" but I decided not to, also because Dexron 3 would be the correct fluid anyway since it replace Dexron 2.

Stay warm.

Did he say Thank You to you or into his phone?

Also, doesn't Dexron 6 supersede all the Dexes?
I was thinking the same and I've heard that said.. but, I also thought there was plenty that said NOT to use Dex6 in a Dex3 app.

I think he said Thank You to me because his phone was down.

But the b****** didn't believe me, because he asked his phone again... to be fair, I interrupted him lol...

Was at my local WM getting oil for an oil change when a very senior lady walks by and sees Pennzoil in my basket, says to me in passing, you're gonna ruin your engine running that oil. It's candle wax, the horror :eek: , I just smiled and told her Thank you.
Don't you know.. old people know everything?

Was at my local WM getting oil for an oil change when a very senior lady walks by and sees Pennzoil in my basket, says to me in passing, you're gonna ruin your engine running that oil. It's candle wax, the horror :eek: , I just smiled and told her Thank you.
I got 1 maybe better, I had a Walmart employee tell me that Pennzoil would cause sludge, I had just picked up a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum, so I said what about this Quacker State, he said that would also cause sludge. I said do you sell any oil that does not cause sludge, he said try Mobil 1

^ She was around to care about oil in the 1970s. Back when people would latch onto the "paraffin" in the ingredients.
wax! we pulled valve covers off a 1972 Chevy small block about 1977 and the motor was caked in a plastic looking coating.
Actually looked as if it was built that way it was so coated ! That great 70s oil full of all kinds of stuff.

To be honest, he was kind of a jerk.. he asked a second time as I left it means that he did not believe me.

I hope his transmission has all the fun in the world. Mr. 84 Monte Carlo. 350SBC? Or a 307..
If it's the POS 305, I don't know why he would want to continue driving it! They sucked more than all that has ever sucked before.

If it's the POS 305, I don't know why he would want to continue driving it! They sucked more than all that has ever sucked before.
I disagree, the 305 was a hot rod compared to 229 CI chevy (boat anchor) V6 (not to be confused with the 231 CI Buick 3.8 which was available) or the 4.3 liter oldsmobile diesel.

I agree the 305 was slow by todays standards but the dang thing ran smooth and was reliable. (relatively)

I disagree, the 305 was a hot rod compared to 229 CI chevy (boat anchor) V6 (not to be confused with the 231 CI Buick 3.8 which was available) or the 4.3 liter oldsmobile diesel.

I agree the 305 was slow by todays standards but the dang thing ran smooth and was reliable. (relatively)
Carburetor?

Carb'd or not.. every time I hear the 305 referred to it seems to be unloved.

There was nothing wrong with liking it if you like it, however.

Carb'd or not.. every time I hear the 305 referred to it seems to be unloved.

There was nothing wrong with liking it if you like it, however.
Don't get me wrong, the 305 is a gutless turd but at the end of the day, it's an extremely unstressed small bore sbc where the overall reliability and ability to live with day in and day out was high. it was the best choice in a 1984 monte carlo. worlds better than the odd-fire 3.8's or notorious diesels.

The 305's were unloved because the small bore prevented you from putting good breathing heads on them. The 305 HO's and TPI 305's weren't terrible but they still had bad flowing heads where the power potential didn't exist. It was too easy to replace a 305 with a 350 or 400 or any 4"+ bore combo in between where the aftermarket was pumping out excellent power making parts.

Back