Funny thing happened at Walmart just now

I have another question as well... is it true that Dexron 6 really did replace Dexron 3 because I had thought that I had heard that Dexron 6 behaves differently and it's a lower viscosity and doesn't really act the same as Dexron 3 and is therefore ill-advised.

So my question is if you really should use Dexron 6 instead of three because I thought the fluids were different and acted different even if it may be the official replacement.

Dex 6 is a LV fluid (around 6.0 cSt). Dex IIIh starts around 7.3 cst. However, Dex 6 will hold its vis very well; near 6.0 or very high 5.x, whereas the IIIh will drop down into the low 5.x and even high 4.x if you use it for any long duration (which most people do because they're not BITOGers). The add packs are different, but the D6 will suffice in terms of compatibility. Hence, GM back specs the new fluid into most (not all) GM applications.

^ She was around to care about oil in the 1970s. Back when people would latch onto the "paraffin" in the ingredients.
She was around when Pennzoil had a terrible reputation for destroying camshafts. Just like Fram oil filters had a terrible reputation. She wasn’t altogether wrong, just kind of out of date.

Dex 6 is a LV fluid (around 6.0 cSt). Dex IIIh starts around 7.3 cst. However, Dex 6 will hold its vis very well; near 6.0 or very high 5.x, whereas the IIIh will drop down into the low 5.x and even high 4.x if you use it for any long duration (which most people do because they're not BITOGers). The add packs are different, but the D6 will suffice in terms of compatibility. Hence, GM back specs the new fluid into most (not all) GM applications.
And this is almost exactly how I remember motor oil, backing my forays into primarily 0W-20 oil.. the oil can start out "thinner" (HTHS vs cSt,) as long as it remains "thick" enough to do the job.

Have a feeling he got some Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle since it is "compatible" with MANY different cars ... and it's Wal-Mart's favorite brand of atf in my area. lol

I use it for 2 different cars (2005 & 2014) and seems to be doing great. Much cheaper than dealer SP-IV.

I disagree, the 305 was a hot rod compared to 229 CI chevy (boat anchor) V6 (not to be confused with the 231 CI Buick 3.8 which was available) or the 4.3 liter oldsmobile diesel.

I agree the 305 was slow by todays standards but the dang thing ran smooth and was reliable. (relatively)
Well, you are correct...the 305 didn't suck quite as much as the 229 (and the 260 V8), but it tried hard! My beef with the 305 is that it was touted as having the power of a v8 but never provided much more than the 3.8 V6. And, as noted, had little aftermarket part availability. On a positive note, the 305 was relatively durable and usually lasted as long as the car.

I've had a couple of 305sbc in El Caminos and had very good service from them over many miles and years. The Pennsylvania oils had a rep long ago with the 'waxes' in them. I did, as I have always done, and changed oil and filter on a reasonable schedule and never had any oil related problems, from lowly cars to muscle cars. I tried some 'Polar' synthetic in the 70's one winter and used various brands of 10-30 over the years including the 'interesting' marketing of the purple Royal Triton back around the late 60's. Always changed my own oil except twice.

^ She was around to care about oil in the 1970s. Back when people would latch onto the "paraffin" in the ingredients.
Don't you know she's older so you should automatically respect your elders and listen to whatever they say since being older means they're 100% right on the advice they give you no matter what. These darn whippersnappers nowadays, thinkin they know more than we do. Let em put that new fangled pennzoil candle wax ultra platinum majig in his moedur. That'll teach em a lesson about rebelling all right.

I disagree, the 305 was a hot rod compared to 229 CI chevy (boat anchor) V6 (not to be confused with the 231 CI Buick 3.8 which was available) or the 4.3 liter oldsmobile diesel.

I agree the 305 was slow by todays standards but the dang thing ran smooth and was reliable. (relatively)
yeah i have experience with the 305 it's not a bad engine. There was certainly worse back in its day.

Loved my 84 Impala with carbed 305; pulled about 24 mpg on the highway, bought it @ 77K, sold it @218K with only brakes, muffler, tires and tuneups. One carb rebuild due to MBTE. Even towed a 21' fiberglass MacGregor with it; I sold it to a low income person and still saw it driving around Middletown CT a few years later.

Also had a 89 Caprice Classic, pretty much the same reliability. Amazingly utilitarian cars.

There's a stout 305 under that snake pit still running for the last 37 yrs, won't win any stoplight to stoplight races but gets me where I want to go. :D
IMG_0329.JPG

Not only that, she actually owned or drove a car that she knew - beyond any doubt! - that it had been run exclusively on a diet of Pennzoil since it was new, and had never (not even once!) been neglected or run beyond a 3000-mile oil change interval, and the PCV system, carb and thermostat were always in perfect working order. It HAD to be the oil!

Dudes. I had a 4.3L Olds V8 in a 76 LeMans; 110HP 2bbl. When indicating the 305 is a dog, it is really about perspective.

2+ tons, 110 HP; not bad for a $150 estate car with 50K miles.

Drove to DC and back to CT in one day to pick it up in 95F weather; winter came and I could see the car self destructing in the driveway.

Back